Hayward Ecostar SP3200DR motor not running but display shows ok

Mar 13, 2016
Yorba Linda, CA
I have a Hayward Ecostar SP3200DR variable speed pump. The unit has power and the display is not showing any errors but the motor/pump is not turning. Not much research available other than many people are not happy with this unit. Seems like problem may be motor assembly SPX3400DR but those are $650 on eBay up to over $1000 on some supply web sites.

Anybody have this problem? Any inexpensive solution or good source for replacement part?

In the meantime, can I bypass the motor assembly and connect power direct to the motor wires? I assume if I can hook up direct then motor will probably run at full speed. I am hoping to bypass power direct to motor just so I have pool running until I get replacement/repair solution resolved.

By the way, this problem was probably caused by a leaking check valve direct above the pump. Seems like this should be more tolerant of water since what prevents rain from burning these out.

Welcome to the forum!

In the meantime, can I bypass the motor assembly and connect power direct to the motor wires?
That is a 3-phase motor and I doubt you have 3-phase power so you can't directly connect that to single phase power. However, there is a way you can run a 3-phase motor with single phase but it requires an external circuit and I would not recommend that unless you are very familiar with high power components and circuits.

Is it still under warranty?

If not, another option would be to replace the motor and drive with a two speed motor and perhaps a new impeller and diffuser if you want a smaller pump than a 3 HP.

Welcome to the forum!

That is a 3-phase motor and I doubt you have 3-phase power so you can't directly connect that to single phase power. However, there is a way you can run a 3-phase motor with single phase but it requires an external circuit and I would not recommend that unless you are very familiar with high power components and circuits.

Is it still under warranty?

If not, another option would be to replace the motor and drive with a two speed motor and perhaps a new impeller and diffuser if you want a smaller pump than a 3 HP.

The pump was installed in 2012, replacing a single speed pump. The State of California will not allow a single speed motors to be sold as the primary pump so I had to pay $1400 for this multi-speed unit. The warranty was only 1 year. I had Hayward out to replace some part that failed within a few months after installation but now I am on my own for this repair since this has been installed for almost 4 years.

Actually, there is an error message on the display. When powered on, it show somethink like, "COMMUNICATION ERROR. CHECK WIRING FROM DISPLAY TO UNIT". The odd thing is that display only has one cord and that certainly is proving the power for the display so something is connected correctly. I even changed the display to the WALL PANEL connector and got the same error message.

At this point, I think I will have to replace the motor assembly (SPX3400DR) Do you happen to have an recommendation for good source to purchase this part? I am pretty handy with repair so I have no problem doing the replacement.

The State of California will not allow a single speed motors to be sold as the primary pump so I had to pay $1400 for this multi-speed unit.
Not quite true. They don't allow single speed pumps over 1 HP. Also they allow any size two speed pumps. See page 188

http://www.energy.ca.gov/2015publications/CEC-400-2015-021/CEC-400-2015-021.pdf

Residential Pool Pump Motors. Residential pool pump motors with a pool
pump motor capacity of 1 HP or greater which are manufactured on or after
January 1, 2010, shall have the capability of operating at two or more speeds with
a low speed having a rotation rate that is no more than one‐half of the motorʹs
maximum rotation rate. The pump motor must be operated with a pump control
that shall have the capability of operating the pump at least at two speeds.

But if the drive is showing an error, then it might not be completely dead. Will it operate on it's own through the drive menu?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.