Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Motor/timer help

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bloomington (Minneapolis), MN
    Posts
    106

    Motor/timer help

    Hey all, looking for some advice to solve a problem I'm having. Currently I leave my pump on 24/7 and it's killing my electric bill. There isn't a timer wired in and I have no idea how to go about adding one. Would it be worth hiring an electrician or would it be a better option to get a different motor that has a low setting (currently have single speed)?

    Would a motor with low setting still be able to power my salt system? Appreciate the help, most of this is way over my head.
    Pool: 28K gal, vinyl lined, rectangular, auto cover
    Equipment: Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Raypak 266A heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Pentair superflo 1hp 2spd pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner. TF-100 w/speed-stir

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Texas Splash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    South-Central Texas, Marion/San Antonio
    Posts
    12,941

    Re: Motor/timer help

    Timers are used quite often by TFP'ers. A common timer is the T101R/M (110V) or T104M (220V). Their diagrams are fairly straight-forward for the average DIY'er. But of course if you're not comfortable with working with electrical circuits, by all means hire a professional. The timer can resolve pump on-time concerns. Of course a 2-speed is a crowd favorite, with it placed on low most of the time it's on, and only placed on high for cleaning or mixing chemicals. A 2-speed can satisfy an SWG, and so can a variable speed, although a VSP will take a little more out of your checkbook. Hope this helps.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

  3. Back To Top    #3
    Mod Squad Jimrahbe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Bedford, TX
    Posts
    5,298

    Re: Motor/timer help

    From your question it sounds to me like you have little or no electrical wiring experience. If this is the case, wiring on pool equipment is probably not the place to start. I recommend that you hire an electrician that has some pool experience.

    Even if you went with a two speed pump, it would still make sense to have it connected to a timer. In fact, I find it very odd that a pool the size of yours does not have a timer of some sort. I suspect it was installed at one point and maybe someone took it out or by-passed it. Just another reason to have an electrician come by and see what is what.

    I just noticed that you are in Minnesota... Maybe you don't need a timer if you pool only runs two or three days a year...

    Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bloomington (Minneapolis), MN
    Posts
    106

    Re: Motor/timer help

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    From your question it sounds to me like you have little or no electrical wiring experience. If this is the case, wiring on pool equipment is probably not the place to start. I recommend that you hire an electrician that has some pool experience.

    Even if you went with a two speed pump, it would still make sense to have it connected to a timer. In fact, I find it very odd that a pool the size of yours does not have a timer of some sort. I suspect it was installed at one point and maybe someone took it out or by-passed it. Just another reason to have an electrician come by and see what is what.

    I just noticed that you are in Minnesota... Maybe you don't need a timer if you pool only runs two or three days a year...

    Jim R.
    Ha! It seems like that.. It's only open for 3 months or so, but bill is $400+ a month during that time. If there is a timer where would it be located? I have a switch box that turns the pump on and off, but nothing that looks like a timer connected.
    Pool: 28K gal, vinyl lined, rectangular, auto cover
    Equipment: Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Raypak 266A heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Pentair superflo 1hp 2spd pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner. TF-100 w/speed-stir

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bloomington (Minneapolis), MN
    Posts
    106

    Re: Motor/timer help

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Splash View Post
    Timers are used quite often by TFP'ers. A common timer is the T101R/M (110V) or T104M (220V). Their diagrams are fairly straight-forward for the average DIY'er. But of course if you're not comfortable with working with electrical circuits, by all means hire a professional. The timer can resolve pump on-time concerns. Of course a 2-speed is a crowd favorite, with it placed on low most of the time it's on, and only placed on high for cleaning or mixing chemicals. A 2-speed can satisfy an SWG, and so can a variable speed, although a VSP will take a little more out of your checkbook. Hope this helps.
    Thank you for the reply. I have a close friend that is a electrician by trade, I'll have him take a look.
    Pool: 28K gal, vinyl lined, rectangular, auto cover
    Equipment: Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Raypak 266A heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Pentair superflo 1hp 2spd pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner. TF-100 w/speed-stir

  6. Back To Top    #6
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,994

    Re: Motor/timer help

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    I just noticed that you are in Minnesota... Maybe you don't need a timer if you pool only runs two or three days a year...
    LOL!

    If you really don't have a timer it might be best to just install a small variable speed pump with a built in timer like the Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

    I run my variable speed pump at 1100 rpm for making chlorine, skimming and filtering. It uses 150 watts and at 10.25c/kWh I can run it 24x7 for less than 12 bucks a month.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Bloomington (Minneapolis), MN
    Posts
    106

    Re: Motor/timer help

    Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    LOL!

    If you really don't have a timer it might be best to just install a small variable speed pump with a built in timer like the Pentair SuperFlo VS Pump 342001 | Pentair 342001

    I run my variable speed pump at 1100 rpm for making chlorine, skimming and filtering. It uses 150 watts and at 10.25c/kWh I can run it 24x7 for less than 12 bucks a month.
    Wow, that looks like a great option! Is there a way to just buy the motor part and hook it up to the pump I have now? Or do you have to buy the whole thing?
    Pool: 28K gal, vinyl lined, rectangular, auto cover
    Equipment: Mineral Springs MS-10 SWG, Raypak 266A heater, Jandy CL460 cartridge filter, Pentair superflo 1hp 2spd pump, Polaris PB4-60 booster pump and Polaris 280 cleaner. TF-100 w/speed-stir

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •