New Above Ground Purchase

snuhjr

Jun 17, 2012
Independence, KY
Let me first say that I have been a lurker on this site for years. My wife and I have always wanted a pool and we finally have taken the plunge. We were back and forth between in-ground and above-ground options. We finally settled on an above ground pool and purchased it today. We purchased an 18' x 33' Sharkline Harbortown with 54" wall. We got a 2 speed pentair pump 1.5 HP, I believe and a 150 sq. ft. cartridge filter. We are looking at a late April installation. Next on my list will be the purchase of the TF100 kit. I made sure we did not go for the "upgraded" package with the Simple Salt system. (copper system) I am going with the methods taught here because I have seen the results over the years reading this site. Thank you all in advance for your help through this exciting adventure.

Alright! Sounds like you've been doing some reading. :) Don't forget to add your new pool info to your signature by going to the top of the TFP web page (just under the Pool School button) and select "SETTINGS". On the next page look to the left for a menu bar that says, “MY SETTINGS” and go to "EDIT SIGNATURE" to enter your pool and equipment info there. It will help us later. This link may also help you: Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post.

HI! I can't wait to see how it goes! What fun! You are going to LOVE your pool and taking care of it. Make sure to test your fill water (except CYA) before you fill the pool so we can work on what you need to buy to get it balanced from the start.

Kim

Just received word yesterday that the install of our pool will occur on Tuesday. Very excited. Bless my wife for taking care of calling the electrician, fence contractor and landscapers. We are going to have a dig and will be putting up a 2' to 3' tall retaining wall with the pool. The TF100 test kit should arrive tomorrow or Monday. I will try and post pictures as we go. Thanks is advance for the help!

Trying the photo upload thing.
This showed up today.
IMG_1922.jpg

Here is the yard where the pool is going. It will be more toward the left side of the yard.
P1020828.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Looks pretty good. So once you get the pool set-up and filled, it's nice to know what you have to work with. Just some early FYI .......Once filled, first priority will be to suspend a sock with granular stabilizer for an initial CYA target of 30 ppm. That's to protect your FC from the sun. At the same time, use regular bleach for a day-one FC target of about 3 ppm, but then increase to about 5 ppm after that - never below 3. You'll keep pH in the mid-7s, and TA we'll worry about last. CH is "N/A" for your AG vinyl pool so that's easy. I know it's early still, but that's just to give you something to think about. Practice with the Poolmath calculator from time to time as that will be your tool of choice when figuring out how much to add of a particular product. Good luck!

Here is the install from today. The yard is, in a word, a MESS! That was to be expected. My wife did not expect that much dirt. I told her :) God bless her for coordinating everything. We had a 3 ft dig at the highest part of the yard. We will be having truckloads of dirt removed in the coming weeks. The water truck will come back tomorrow to finish filling. As of now, we are about 2/3 full. Electrician is coming tomorrow to install electric. Hopefully the pump will be up and running tomorrow. Headed out to add some bleach now and circulate. Pool builder did not bring us our manual vacuum or leaf net. We added a solar heater to the pool. Hopefully we will be swimming sooner rather than later.

IMG_1968.jpg

This picture is taken from the deck. We might be adding to the deck this year instead of next because I don't like the options we have as far as access to the pool right now.
IMG_1966.jpg

No turning back now. ha. Looks good. Remember to use bleach sparingly at first (about 3 ppm) until you get the stabilizer in there. Then you can start to align FC and CYA on the Chlorine/CYA Chart. pH after that. Have fun, start taking aspirin now. :)

The pool was topped off today. The electricians came out and had trouble trenching to the pump because of all the dirt in the yard. They did not finish. Because of rain in the forecast, they will probably not be out again until hopefully Friday and not Monday. In the mean time, I have a few questions. Not being able to run the pump, can I put the stabilizer in the pool and stir it up hopefully have it dissolve a little bit or should I just wait until the electric is finished to add the stabilizer? I tested and brought the FC up to 3 earlier this evening. I just hate starting off behind the 8-ball with the pump not running.

Thank you in advance.

After looking at the pool for the past month, having a new fence installed (half the yard), a new retaining wall installed and tons of dirt/rock moved out of my backyard we finally are getting ready to hopefully start using the pool soon. Then I see some issues after sweeping the pool for the first time on Sunday. On the left side of the pool there are extensive divots in the bottom. You can see them. One at almost every post on one side of the pool. Longer depressions where the pressure plates might be as well. I will try and get some pictures posted tomorrow or Wednesday. I believe the sand may be coming out. We had the retaining wall installed a week after the pool was installed with a drain pipe and gravel behind it to help with ground water. I am soooo frustrated. I just want to enjoy this. Now I fear we will have to have the pool drained and the bottom redone. When you look at the pictures above, the issues are on the left side of the pool. The retaining wall was installed on the right side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.