Platinum Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 4, 2012
Whidbey Island, WA
good morning

we have high wind watch today
with conifers everywhere power outages are then the rule

and often the power flickers on and off in seconds or minutes as the event unfolds

if the pump is running on auto it then goes off on off on within seconds or minutes

does can this off on off one damage the pump?
should I best just turn it off while the wind blows?

thank you

Variable speed pumps are much more susceptible to electrical damage than single speed pumps. I think you'll be fine. I, personally, would just turn the pump off if you suspect a power surge. If you had a variable speed pump, I would suggest a whole-home surge protector (which gets wired into your electrical panel) but that's not really necessary for single speed or 2-speed pumps.

got it, thank you
but what about a power surge when the power is restored

I suppose if the start capacitor was on the verge of going then a power surge could send it over the edge but the pump motor itself is a big A/C inductive motor; those types of motors can usually handle a fairly large voltage spike without any damage to the windings or core. The VS pumps, on the other hand, have lots of on-board solid-state digital components in them that are very sensitive to voltage spikes so, even in those cases, it's the electronics that gets fried not the actual motor windings themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.