Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Removal Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Removal Question

I'm in the process of partially draining my pool and am noticing some calcium buildup on the tile. Can I just spray on the acid wash mixture, described in other posts, then rinse into the draining water?

Thanks in advance!
    Any help appreciated.
    9700 gallon outdoor in-ground 11x26' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter;
    Pentair MasterTemp 400 natural gas heater; 2-wheel "The Pool Cleaner"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Removal Question

You sure can. You need to be aware it will lower your PH so you will need to be ready to push it back up when the pool is full.

How are you testing your water? How does your fill water look on the tests?

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Not sure which "acid wash mixture" you are going to use? What is the concentration?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

I was going to start at 5:1 as stated in other posts I've seen.
    9700 gallon outdoor in-ground 11x26' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo Variable Speed pump; Pentair Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter;
    Pentair MasterTemp 400 natural gas heater; 2-wheel "The Pool Cleaner"

5. Back To Top    #5

I've read 4:1 (water:MA) so your 5:1 would be fine. Make sure you protect yourself (gloves) if you're scrubbing the tiles by hand. If you come across particularly tough lumps you can use a razor blade gently on tile.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

6. Back To Top    #6

It is a little more work, but I discovered that Bartender's Friend is great at cleaning tile. Include the reduced hazard and it makes a little bit of elbow grease worth it.

Mod note: Please see post below as a follow up on why this is not a good idea.
    15K IG, WetEdge technology lined pool, StaRite pump, Hayward DE filter, Hayward Navigator, Zodiac MX8 (junked).

7. Back To Top    #7

But what will Bartender's Friend put in the water? I will ask someone and have them post if this is a good idea.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

I would NOT want to use Bar Keeper's Friend (BKF) in my pool or in such a way that it can get into the pool. The active ingredient in BKF is oxalic acid (it also contains detergents and fine silica grit for polishing). Oxalic acid will help remove water stains, as well as iron stains, from metal surfaces (it works great on stainless steel pans), but oxalic acid is TOXIC upon ingestion. In high enough concentrations, it can cause organ failure, specifically kidney failure. Oxalic acid will form calcium oxalate crystals in your kidneys. Calcium oxalate crystals look like sharp spikes and cause physical damage to the kidneys. Calcium oxalate is the primary component of kidney stones and this is one reason why they are excruciating to pass when you develop them. Chlorine degrades oxalic acid into carbon dioxide, water and chloride ion, so it won't build up in your water but it will create some chlorine demand.

Now, while scrubbing some tiles carefully with BKF is probably not going to add a harmful concentration of oxalic acid to your pool water, you have to ask yourself - why would I want to add something that is potentially harmful to the water when there is an alternative that works just fine, aka, muriatic acid. The answer is, you should not. So leave the BKF for what is was intended for (showers, sinks, pots & pans) and use something else in your pool.
    Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates