Replacing filter sand

rockb

Sep 26, 2015
FL
New pool owner here.

Bought a foreclosure and the pool had been ignored for at least 2 years. Had a couple pool guys come by to take a look and they both recommended changing the filter sand. After watching a youtube video I figured I could do that.

I have gotten the majority of the sand out and have 2 questions.

1. Are the $6 bags of sand from Home Depot sufficient or do I need to get something else.

2. Do I have to get ALL of the old sand out? below is a pic of what I have now.

Filter_zpsfpab3lft.jpg

Filter2_zpsykash8tv.jpg

You want #20 silica sand, sometimes called pool filter sand. As for the bottom, you have done a great job thus far. I would try to clean it all out if possible based on the questionable history. Maybe use a ShopVac if you have one. You've gone this far, might as well keep going. :) Use extreme care on those "fingers" / laterals though to prevent breakage. No telling if they got gummed-up inside from neglect.

- - - Updated - - -

Also please see this page: Deep Cleaning a Sand Filter.

And finally, one more thing on what to do after the new sand is in, ........ backwash first, then rinse. That should do it.

I would also take the lateral out (with great care) and clean them up and make sure there are not cracks or such.

When you go to put the new sand in make sure none goes down the tube. You can put a plastic cup over it to help. You should also fill the filter up about half way with water to help keep the sand from dropping too hard onto the laterals. Use care putting the sand in.

Kim

I would also take the lateral out (with great care) and clean them up and make sure there are not cracks or such.

When you go to put the new sand in make sure none goes down the tube. You can put a plastic cup over it to help. You should also fill the filter up about half way with water to help keep the sand from dropping too hard onto the laterals. Use care putting the sand in.

Kim

How do the laterals come out. I pull up gently on the pipe and everything seems pretty snug in there still.

Is the model number listed on your label? I just pulled up a random Hayward sand filter and the manual. It shows the laterals being the kind that rotates up.

I am pretty sure you can lift the pipe up BUT I want you to find the manual and make sure.

I think it will be worth your while to go all the way with your filter clean out and up.

Let us know how it goes.

Kim

Of course it does! LOL Looking at yours it really looks like they are the lift up ones. See the white rounded area at the pipe? I think that is where they rotate. Play with it and see what happens BUT do use care. For the pipe I wonder if you flushed some water down there it would help loosen the sand's grip on the pipe?
Kim

Pull the white pipe up, reach in with your hand and carefully move the laterals into an upright position to fully remove and inspect. I would recommend putting in a bag of pea gravel before the sand, it AIDS in filtration. Just use caution when putting in the bag of pea gravel, filling half way helps them float into position.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok got the pipe/laterals out and the rest of the sand.

If the sand from Home Depot is no good I guess I'll head to the pool place. I'll call them tomorrow. Maybe they will not be too much more than HD.

20160313_160214_zpsi0ckh64j.jpg

20160313_160229_zpsarfjvxw5.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.