Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pentair minimax NT blower popped then stopped working

1. Back To Top    #1

Pentair minimax NT blower popped then stopped working

The blower ran for 15-30s, a loud pop occurred, and it will not start again. This was prior to the ignition cycle. It happened the day after it rained. I have the heater cover off now to inspect, and water certainly could NOT have gotten into the blower motor itself. What happened?

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pentair minimax NT blower popped then stopped working

Who knows for sure what happened. Maybe the capacitor on it blew. Does the unit come to life other than the blower working? If all else seems fine and it's just that the blower stopped working, then is sounds like you need a new motor.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, the water pressure switch and thermostat work. The blower does not start, so the ignition cycle does not start.

Learned yesterday after I left the heater on for a while, error code 4 came on which is the fan.

Now...replace the blower or replace the heater? Choices. The heater is 10 years old already and discontinued. We'll see.

Thank you

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a 1,500 gallon spa with second pump for a waterfall that flows into the spa. The main pump is a 3hp Pentair. Piping is 2". If I buy a Pentair 125k Mastertemp with 1.5" piping, will it reduce the performance of or damage my setup?

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Usually the cost difference between the smaller and the 250K units isn't much.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I usually would rather have a customer repair than replace. Except when...

The heater is over 10 years old.
    The heater is a MiniMax NT.

You have two strikes.
    Factory Warranty Station for:
    Jandy/Zodiac, Pentair, Sta-Rite, Raypak, Polaris,
    and Paramount pool cleaning systems.

7. Back To Top    #7

Fair enough. I want to give a chance to the blower...is the capacitor attached to the blower motor casing the start capacitor? Is it a 5 microfarad capacitor? 370/440 VAC?VZM.IMG_20160315_193645.jpg

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

Yes that is the start run capacitor and yes 5 micro. I would also inspect the squirrel cage on the motor as well. If it's in bad shape it would be better to replace with a new motor.
    Paul

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks. While I found a replacement capacitor, I ordered a new motor (duh, the capacitor specs are on the motor housing). Hopefully I can get another year or two out of the heater.

20160312_090448.jpg
    1,500 gallon spa with waterfall
    Two Pentair Pumps
    Pentair Minimax NT 300,000 BTU Heater

10. Back To Top    #10

Where did you find a replacement motor?? I've been searching for a week and can't find a direct replacement. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Brian

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by binduni View Post
    Where did you find a replacement motor?? I've been searching for a week and can't find a direct replacement. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Brian
    TC Pool Equipment
    1,500 gallon spa with waterfall
    Two Pentair Pumps
    Pentair Minimax NT 300,000 BTU Heater