New pump motor

Sep 4, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Hi all
My pump comes on and makes a humming noise and then cuts off, then restarts after 15 minutes. So I think, after several reads, that a motor replacement is the way to go.
Currently there is a pentair 1.5 HP WF-26, I wish I could post the picture, but I couldn't.

My question is, should I replace just the motor or get a new pump. No spa no water features.
If a new motor only, what I'm leaning toward, just a 2 speed is enough. VS is a little pricey and I can't see the savings.
Thanks in advance.

That usually just means that it needs a new capacitor which are easy to replace. I would check that first before replacing the entire motor. Does the motor shaft rotate freely?

But if you want a two speed for the WF-26 wet end, then you want a A.O.Smith B2982 or equivalent. It is a 230v motor so just make sure you can wire it that way.

If you have a multi-meter you can check for an open or short on the capacitor. It could also be a centrifugal switch if the motor has one.

Did you ever check the centrifugal switch in the back? Contacts can get dirty.

Also, you said you checked the impeller but did you turn it with your hands to make sure there is no binding?

No, don't remove the screw that defeats the purpose. You want to turn the shaft as well so the impeller has to be screwed to the shaft.

Got it. Is back on it and it does move. I have Not been able open the back of the motor, screws are Not coming out, have to figure out a way to do it to Check on centrifugal switch.
I believe per the diagram I have to remove the long screws for the back correct?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It isn't clear from that picture if the motor has a centrifugal switch or not. It should be attached to the shaft so you might be able to see it from the outside. If not, for that motor design, you would have to remove the housing screws to see.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.