Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pump motor

1. Back To Top    #1

New pump motor

Hi all
    My pump comes on and makes a humming noise and then cuts off, then restarts after 15 minutes. So I think, after several reads, that a motor replacement is the way to go.
    Currently there is a pentair 1.5 HP WF-26, I wish I could post the picture, but I couldn't.

My question is, should I replace just the motor or get a new pump. No spa no water features.
    If a new motor only, what I'm leaning toward, just a 2 speed is enough. VS is a little pricey and I can't see the savings.
    Thanks in advance.

26K gallons, IG vinyl, Pentair 1.5 HP, Hayward DE filter, TF 100 test kit, Ecojet Turbo Cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pump motor

That usually just means that it needs a new capacitor which are easy to replace. I would check that first before replacing the entire motor. Does the motor shaft rotate freely?

But if you want a two speed for the WF-26 wet end, then you want a A.O.Smith B2982 or equivalent. It is a 230v motor so just make sure you can wire it that way.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for your reply. I dont know, will remove tomorrow and Check.

4. Back To Top    #4

I checked the impeller and it looks good. I'm going to replace the capacitor and see what happens. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

26K gallons, IG vinyl, Pentair 1.5 HP, Hayward DE filter, TF 100 test kit, Ecojet Turbo Cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

If you have a multi-meter you can check for an open or short on the capacitor. It could also be a centrifugal switch if the motor has one.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

OK capacitor was bad. I replaced it. But still no luck.

7. Back To Top    #7

Did you ever check the centrifugal switch in the back? Contacts can get dirty.

Also, you said you checked the impeller but did you turn it with your hands to make sure there is no binding?
    Mark

8. Back To Top    #8

I did turn the impeller. Removed the screw in the middle and turned. I'm going to check again.

9. Back To Top    #9

No, don't remove the screw that defeats the purpose. You want to turn the shaft as well so the impeller has to be screwed to the shaft.
    Mark

10. Back To Top    #10

Got it. Is back on it and it does move. I have Not been able open the back of the motor, screws are Not coming out, have to figure out a way to do it to Check on centrifugal switch.
    I believe per the diagram I have to remove the long screws for the back correct?

11. Back To Top    #11

Those are the housing screws. There should be two shorter screws that hold on just the end cap.
    Mark

12. Back To Top    #12

Nothing there.
    Any further help I can get is appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

It isn't clear from that picture if the motor has a centrifugal switch or not. It should be attached to the shaft so you might be able to see it from the outside. If not, for that motor design, you would have to remove the housing screws to see.
    Mark

14. Back To Top    #14

In the Industry

Stop fighting it and replace the motor. They are not that expensive.

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by mas985 View Post
    But if you want a two speed for the WF-26 wet end, then you want a A.O.Smith B2982 or equivalent. It is a 230v motor so just make sure you can wire it that way.
    If you decide on going with a new motor.
    Mark

16. Back To Top    #16

Thanks, I checked again and is not there. Will go with your suggestion for the new motor. Thanks.
    I'll be back. I'm pretty sure.