Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar paused pump alarm

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar paused pump alarm

I keep getting the error message "solar paused, pump alarm" on my solartouch controller. It happens randomly and only when the pump is not scheduled to run. It happens daily and I am not having power outages. Pentair thought it was the controller and sent a new one. It is still happening. We are baffled. Why is the pump causing this alarm?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar paused pump alarm

Can you tell us what the rest of your equipment is, and did you swap out temperature sensors also (they are probably the most failure prone part to solar controllers)?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Sure, I have a 9000 gallon in ground pool with approximately 600 square feet of solar panels on the roof. The solar touch controller controls an intelliflo pump and three way valve that sends water to the panels when solar heating is available. The entire system is less then 3 months old and we have had the "solar paused, pump alarm" problem from day one. I think we have now ruled out the controller as the problem. I checked the system this evening after it shutdown and everything is good to go. The controller has the solid green light lit. When I check tomarrow morning odds are it will be in the alarmed state once again.

4. Back To Top    #4

I should have also mentioned it is a salt water pool. Chlorine levels are maintained by an autopilot chlorine generator.

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

All this means is the roof sensor is warmer than the water sensor and the controller thinks it can heat the pool, but it senses the pump is not running. Most of the time this is a non-issue. When the pump starts the error will clear and the solar will come on.

Jason Szumlanski
    Vice President
    Fafco Solar