Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Mustard Algae?

1. Back To Top    #1

Mustard Algae?

When I opened the pool last week, I had a slight hint of green, I have been in the SLAM process for a week now and my water looks great!

However, I have this weird yellowish stain like thing occurring on the bottom of my liner. It does not brush away. Could this be mustard algae? If not what are your thoughts!

My latest test results are:

FC 9.5
    CC 1.0
    PH 7.4
    TA 50
    CH 50
    CYA 30
    Temp 61

Type: IG Vynal
    Size: ~ 22,000 GAL
    Filter: Sand - Hayward S244T Pro Series w/ 1HP Hayward Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Mustard Algae?

My first idea is taking a chlorine puck (can be purchased singularly at some Lowes or a pool store) and also try to get some cheap Vitamin C tablets held against these spots.
    If the Vit C works its a metal stain. If the chlorine puck works its organic.

addendum: I see you've got 1 CC.... are you still SLAMing?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy View Post
    If the Vit C works its a metal stain. If the chlorine puck works its organic.
    I will get out my wetsuit and try that. The water is still too cold for me to dive into.

4. Back To Top    #4

Mustard algae normally is fond on the shady side of the pool, not across the entire bottom.

If you use a puck to see if it's organic, don;t leave it there for more than a few hours at the very most.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

5. Back To Top    #5

My question has been answered! The vitamin c tablet made it disappear instantly! Thank you for the advice! It's time to read up on metal stains now! Have a great weekend everyone!