Rocking along-- New Houston Area Build Ramping Up

Re: Gunite done! New Houston Area Build Ramping Up

They are moving really fast! Local PB? We used Premier Pools near Academy on 518 for our build.
We are using Precision Pools in Richmond. Really impressed at the communication and the quality of the subs.

So, there was no more tile work today because of a steady drizzle, but that didn't deter the plumbers. They will finish tomorrow, depending on weather, and their work is incredibly neat (or as neat as giant piles of dirt can be). They hand dug every trench, and the trenches are smooth, clean, and even. Very professional plumber who is making sure I will be able to easily switch out equipment in the future, if I need to make a change. Also, he is joining the equipment with unions, so I'm pleased with that!

Now for some pics:

Re: Gunite done! New Houston Area Build Ramping Up

Today the tile and plumbing were almost finished, and they will wrap up tomorrow. I LOVE the tile. I was worried it would look plain, or I would regret foregoing ledger stone or glass, but the waterline tile is really pretty. Here are some pics:

I debated grout color. Ocean blue:

Or executive gray

I picked the gray because it is a greige that will pull in the coping color a bit, as well as highlight the tile. The blue likely would have been beautiful, too, but I was unsure about blue grout. What do you think?

Then the equipment pad, which they will finish tomorrow because they need more valves. I appreciate that they are pulling in the lines on the end of the pad because we only have 5 feet on this side of the house.

Re: Tile done--grout opinion? New Houston Area Build Ramping Up

Tile was grouted on Friday, and I am so happy with the gray! Thanks for sharing your opinions on that!

On Saturday, unbeknownst to us, electrical was completed. I am glad we are chugging along, but I prefer to know the work that is happening, so I can decide if I want to be there. In this case, it meant that the electrician missed that we wanted to add a sub-panel for pool only stuff, but it works out just fine. We still have room in the main panel, and there is a shut-down for everything at the pad, so we decided to apply that money towards the extra decking we want to add. We keep adding on decking, but I think it will be perfect when we are done.

Ok, so some pictures!!

I did not take pics of electrical because the most exciting thing is the bond wire.

We are now waiting on electrical and plumbing inspections (today and tomorrow), then hoping to do deck forms on Thursday. Our scheduler did warn me that this quick pace would slow down a bit at deck as they wait for concrete to cure a bit. Is it time to order my test kit???!!!

Make sure TO take a pic of your bond wire. We had one person that was able to use the pic to prove they had one since his inspector forgot to note it on the report! The picture was used to prove it was there!

Yes, do go ahead and get your test kit. That way you can learn how to use it on your fill water!

Kim

Kim, I did take pics of the bond wire after I read that--thanks!

Deck forms are done. We added a bit more decking, which will bring our total decked area to nearly 800 sq ft, 210 of which is an existing covered patio that will be topped to match the pool deck. Phase 2 of the pool project will eventually see a wood deck behind the pool with flower beds between wood deck and pool. We also had someone out to repair our neighbor's sprinkler that got crushed in the dig. I think the guy is going to bring ours back online once we get the yard halfway done and our major beds outlined!

Phase 2 is also going to include some updates to the covered patio to build out the support posts, probably add can lights, and face the underside with tongue and groove planks.

Pics of deck form:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We ended up adding a bit more deck on the shallow side to make it easier to tie in a wood deck, and that was taken care of very quickly.

Then, we had a small hiccup. Our city switched over to a new inspection scheduling system, and they lost a request from the pool builder. No big deal, except once we realized it, PB called to reschedule, and they promised they would be here first thing the following morning as decking was scheduled, followed by fence, followed by grading and clean up. Well, the city did not show up in time, even though the deck crew was not even on site until 10 am. They waited 45 minutes, then pulled off the job for the day. Several phone calls to the city later, the inspection was done, but we'd already lost our concrete for that day. I will say the city was very apologetic, but it was still frustrating. One inspector even gave me his cell number and offered to meet the crew if we could get them back quickly. That was very kind, but we could not make it work. PB was irritated, and our scheduler did a great job trying to rebook everything.

That was Thursday. On Saturday morning, the deck crew was here at 7am, and the whole deck was poured, detailed, and finished by 10:30 or 11am. Plus, our fence went back up, and the fence crew was pretty meticulous about piecing together the panels and random boards. Our neighbors are so happy that their old pup is once again securely contained, and we are happy to have a bit of privacy again! Some deck pics:

We will tie in an L-shaped wood deck on the back part where it is straight. Then there will be some pretty tropical-ish beds between wood deck and RBB on the back of the pool!

Looking back the other direction

Closer pic of the spa side of the deck

From under the covered patio

And then after today's heavy rain, we have a half-filled pool:

and spa

I'm guessing the lights are ok? I know they are designed to be underwater, but it just looks wrong to have them in the pool but not fully installed.

This is really coming together! It is SO pretty already. I love the design and how it fits into your back yard! It's not even finished and already looks like a resort! I was noticing the joints in your deck. They scored ours, but yours looks to have a strip of wood or rubber between the joints. Is this what I'm seeing? If so, that should help to keep it from cracking. (We already have hairline cracks in ours). When is plaster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really coming together! It is SO pretty already. I love the design and how it fits into your back yard! It's not even finished and already looks like a resort! I was noticing the joints in your deck. They scored ours, but yours looks to have a strip of wood or rubber between the joints. Is this what I'm seeing? If so, that should help to keep it from cracking. (We already have hairline cracks in ours). When is plaster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! I spent a lot of time thinking about the design, and while there are a couple of things I would tweak, I love it!

We still have to do final clean, top the deck, and then plaster. Our terrible weather last week really threw off the schedule, but it should pick up again this week. I'm telling myself we are 2 weeks out, but if we get the right span of weather, it will be just a few days. I think what you are seeing in the deck is a plastic expansion joint.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.