New Yorker - Lots of Questions!

Jun 15, 2015
highland, ny
Hi there. I finally talked my dh into a pool We are pretty sure we want fiberglass due to the low maintenance which is very important to DH. We talked with the guy from Leisure Pools and he seemed very professional and lots of references. I want the pool in for this summer. We are thinking of the Pinnacle Model. It comes in 30, 35, and 40 feet. It has a tanning ledge. I am concerned that the tanning ledge will take up so much space that we should go with the 35 or 40. My dh is concerned with cost and is leaning toward the 30. Space is not really a problem - we live on a big piece of land. We don't think we want a spa option - I guess our thought is that it makes things more complicated - more to go wrong. Any thoughts on the pool length? Anyone have a pinnacle? I wanted to get the automatic pool cover. But - yikes - the price was high. No really little kids in the home, but we have frequent little visitors. I guess that it is it for now. Guy is coming back tomorrow and I want to get on the schedule so we can be swimming when the temp goes up. I appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Hi,
Welcome to TFP!

Really, it depends on where the tanning ledge is located and how wide the pool is. Im guessing that with a 30 foot pool the width will be about 15 wide and the ledge in the shallow end. If thats the case, then you're right, there wont be a lot of shallow end space to play around in.

My pool is 30x15 and I dont have a tanning ledge, but I would hate to know I had very much less shallow end space that what I have now.
I do however wish I had a bench seat or ledge. Bench seats can be very nice for just hanging out on, and a bench wouldn't take up as much room as a tanning ledge.

General rule of thumb, is go with the largest pool you can afford and have space for. You won't regret it.

Hope this helps,

Dave has a good point--------go as big as you can. No one has said "I wish my pool was smaller" LOL The same goes for patio.

As for a hot tub.......I think a stand alone would be the best bet if you want one.

Kim

stand alone hot tub is the way to go :) you could put it close to the house and keep it 105 degrees all the time... They are great when the temps dip below 32 degrees :)

Hi there. I finally talked my dh into a pool We are pretty sure we want fiberglass due to the low maintenance which is very important to DH...

I guess you're sold on fiberglass and there are definitely pros & cons with all surfaces but I don't think the above statement is quite right. I'm not trying to be a contrarian or rude in any way but all pools, regardless of surface type, require maintenance.

Now it is true that, all things being equal, a fiberglass shell can last longer than a standard vinyl liner, but fiberglass has its own issues as well. If the shell cracks and the crack is such that it can not be repaired, you are then stuck basically replacing the entire pool shell. Now the installer will tell you that the warranty covers that but, as we've seen here on TFP, warranties are sometimes not worth the paper their written on and FG installers will often try to weasel out of warranty claims by accusing the owner of poor pool chemistry maintenance.

By contrast, a vinyl liner can be easily patched in most instances and they are, relatively speaking, cheaper to replace. You also will have a much larger pool of vinyl installers to choose from giving you more of an ability to price-shop.

Another area of concern is staining. It seems to me that from what I have seen here on TFP, FG pools seem to develop calcium or white stains below the water line very easily and they are harder to remove. I think it depends a lot on the quality of the gel coat on an FG surface. Vinyl doesn't seem to suffer from that as much.

Finally, installation and leveling are critical in FG pools. We've had a number of posts here on TFP with FG pool installation nightmares caused by sloppy workmanship and poor leveling of the pool shell. Vinyl, in that respect, is easier to make level.

Once again, I'm not trying to be negative here, I just want to point out the realities of fiberglass pools that you may not hear from a pool salesman who has a vested interest in selling you the most expensive pool he/she can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Agree with the above thoughts. A lot to consider. However, bite the bullet if you can and get the 40' if you go FG. You WILL NOT regret it. And in a few years you'll have long forgotten the few extra $$'s.

Matt (JoyfulNoise) is rig on the money. Once in the ground all three types of pools (gunite/cement, vinyl, fiberglass) are all going to have similar day to day maintenance.

Take any recommendation like "less work", "less chlorine", "better than chlorine" as a sales pitch and do your due diligence here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.