Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: Heater Questions

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    23

    Heater Questions

    Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, have a few heater related questions. I'll try to provide as much data as possible. In a nutshell I'm wondering how large of a heater I need for my pool. Electric is my only option. And I'm limited to the standard 120V/15A outlet (unless that is NOT going to work at ALL) My pool is one of those blue ring type pools, forgot the brand. It's above ground, round, 16 feet in diameter x 4.5 feet deep. I live just outside Edmonton Alberta in Canada. The average temperature in June is 16C with an average daily high of 21C, July is 18C / 23C high, August is 17C / 22 high. We often get heatwaves around 30C if that helps. I'd like to heat my pool to whatever normal pool water temperature would be, say what an outdoor public pool would have. I've read that a 100-200BTU heater would work for my 7700 gallon pool. When I look up electric heaters they are listed in KW, I do not know how to convert KW to BTU. So anyway, how large of a heater will I need, and is it possible to heat this pool with a standard electrical outlet or am I looking at something bigger?


    Bowers & Wilkins 683S1 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Primacoustic Room Treatments

  2. Back To Top    #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oakbank, Canada
    Posts
    383

    Re: Heater Questions

    You require 220v for any electric pool heater. Propane is another option too in a situation that you cannot get natural gas. I have looked into this too, and I am still using solar for now. I have 4 panels totalling 20' x 8' and they heat my 16' pool fine. Cost me about $500 total for everything including extra hoses, etc. Costs nothing to run, so..............
    BTW, I am in Manitoba so weather is comparable.
    Solar Swimming Pool Heaters. Discount Prices North West Wholesale
    These are the ones I use, I just have them on a platform on the ground that I made from used pallets.........Enersol Solar Pool Heating
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Re: Heater Questions

    to get an output of 200000 BTU from an electric resistance heater, you will need about 60KW (60000 watts) This equates to roughly 250 amps @ 240 volts. You should seroiusly look into using propane or natural gas if it is available. Other than that, a heat pump will e your best bet.
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Re: Heater Questions

    The best you could do with 120 volts and 15 amps is about 1,500 watts, which is equivalent to 5,118 btu per hour. To maintain the pool at about 8 C above normal water temperature, you would need a minimum of about 38,000 btu per hour uncovered or about 28,000 btu per hour covered.

    Those are minimums for maintenance. Those sizes will not heat quickly. Ideally, you would want closer to 100,000 btu per hour for faster heating and maintenance during colder weather.

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    23

    Re: Heater Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by DarrelB View Post
    You require 220v for any electric pool heater. Propane is another option too in a situation that you cannot get natural gas. I have looked into this too, and I am still using solar for now. I have 4 panels totalling 20' x 8' and they heat my 16' pool fine. Cost me about $500 total for everything including extra hoses, etc. Costs nothing to run, so..............
    BTW, I am in Manitoba so weather is comparable.
    Solar Swimming Pool Heaters. Discount Prices North West Wholesale
    These are the ones I use, I just have them on a platform on the ground that I made from used pallets.........Enersol Solar Pool Heating
    Thanks, I've always wondered if those actually work. Pretty dependant on Sunday shine though hey?


    Bowers & Wilkins 683S1 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Primacoustic Room Treatments

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    23

    Re: Heater Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by danpik View Post
    to get an output of 200000 BTU from an electric resistance heater, you will need about 60KW (60000 watts) This equates to roughly 250 amps @ 240 volts. You should seroiusly look into using propane or natural gas if it is available. Other than that, a heat pump will e your best bet.
    I could do propane, I have a massive bottle I got from my brother. I take it propane pool heaters are measured in BTU? Also, what's the difference between an electric heater and a heat pump?


    Bowers & Wilkins 683S1 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Primacoustic Room Treatments

  7. Back To Top    #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    23

    Re: Heater Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    The best you could do with 120 volts and 15 amps is about 1,500 watts, which is equivalent to 5,118 btu per hour. To maintain the pool at about 8 C above normal water temperature, you would need a minimum of about 38,000 btu per hour uncovered or about 28,000 btu per hour covered.

    Those are minimums for maintenance. Those sizes will not heat quickly. Ideally, you would want closer to 100,000 btu per hour for faster heating and maintenance during colder weather.
    How long are we talking here to heat using 28000 btu vs 100000 btu?


    Bowers & Wilkins 683S1 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Primacoustic Room Treatments

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    23

    Re: Heater Questions

    P.S. Sorry about the signature, I'm using the tapatalk app and it's primarily audio forums I use haha.


    Bowers & Wilkins 683S1 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Primacoustic Room Treatments

  9. Back To Top    #9

    TFP Guide

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    western NY
    Posts
    1,557

    Re: Heater Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody87 View Post
    How long are we talking here to heat using 28000 btu vs 100000 btu?
    Simple physics... A BTU (British Thermal Unit) is a measure of work. In simple laymans terms, a BTU will raise the temperature of 1 lb of water 1 deg (at a constant pressure). Time has nothing to do with the formula so far. when heaters are rated, they are rated in BTU/hr. This is the amount of work they can do in 1 hours time. for instance, a 100,000 BTU heater will convert 100,000 BTU's of energy into heat in one hour time. Most pool heaters are roughly 80% efficient so the output of the 100,000 BTU heater will be 80,000 BTU's. Now, we know the weight of the water in your pool (you said 7700 gallons) is roughly 64,000lbs and we know that it takes 1 BTU to raise 1lb of water 1 deg. So, with that, under ideal conditions, it would take 64,000 BTU's of heater output to raise the water 1 deg in 1 hour. With climatic conditions as they are (uncontrollable) That would be hard to realize. It is recommended to shoot for at least a 2 deg temp rise/hr which would put your heater requirement in the 130,000 BTU output range. Figuring the 80% factor into it, you will need around 165,000 BTU heater.

    I did some quick figuring on your 16' x 54" pool and at 54" of water depth you only have about 6700 gallons (~56,000 LBS) At 48" of water, 6000 gallons (49,900 lbs) a 100,000-150,000 BTU heater will get you into the 2 deg/hr range
    Unknown make 18' above ground (bought used in 1999) Sparco sand filter. Hayward 100,000 BTu heater. 2 speed pump

  10. Back To Top    #10

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oakbank, Canada
    Posts
    383

    Re: Heater Questions

    Yup, but they work. In all of the options it is the cheapest to make/purchase and use. Costs nothing to run really.
    However if cost is not dead zone, then a heat pump is the way to go I would think.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody87 View Post
    Thanks, I've always wondered if those actually work. Pretty dependant on Sunday shine though hey?


    Bowers & Wilkins 683S1 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Primacoustic Room Treatments
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    23

    Re: Heater Questions

    Thanks so much for all the information. I think I might go the route of the rooftop solar heating option. Electric is out of the question because I'm unable to run a new line out to the pool for the amount of current it would need. And I think I'd be flying through propane bottles if I went that route also.


    Bowers & Wilkins 683S1 Speakers
    Rotel RB-1090 2 Channel Amp
    Rotel RC-1082 Stereo Pre Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 CD Player
    Pro-Ject Debut Carbon w/ Ortofon 2M Red (sitting on a piece of slate supported by 3 "solid tech feet of silence" isolation feet)
    Rotel RLC-1040 Power Conditioner
    Shynyata Research SR-Z1 Power Outlet & Venom 3 Power Cords x 4
    Tara Labs RSC Vector 1 Speaker Cables & Interconnects
    Primacoustic Room Treatments

  12. Back To Top    #12


    TFP Guide
    jeffchap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Edmond OK
    Posts
    1,373

    Re: Heater Questions

    If you're not using a solar cover on your pool, they help tremendously too. And they are quite inexpensive.
    25000 gallon free-form gunite
    Jandy Stealth pump/CL340 cartridge filter
    Pentair IC40 SWG
    Pentair MasterTemp 250HD heater
    Jandy AquaLink RS automation

  13. Back To Top    #13
    LFrankow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Medicine Hat, Alberta
    Posts
    502

    Re: Heater Questions

    What I have learned so far running various pools to the south of you in Medicine Hat, Alberta.
    Solar cover is first best for the $ improvement, retention.
    I use a combo system both solar and a heat exchanger on my HWT.
    heat exchanger is nice for start of season and end of season, I mostly use it at night to retain heat in the pool.
    With solar I have gotten my smaller pools to 92 F during hot spells.
    At present my home made solar panel is 5 feet x 16 feet with 600 feet of 3/4' tubing in it. It used to get me 16 foot ring pool to 84 np at all, then I upgraded to a 24 foot frame, so I will be adding more sq ft of solar collector this year. Reading in the forums here the consensus is sq ft of surface area of pool = surface area of collector.
    Lou - 13.5K Gal pool, AG Intex 24 X 52"
    19" Sand Filter/1 hp pump, Aqua Trol SWG
    90 sq ft Homemade Solar panels + 80 sq ft Fafco panels, coupled with a SS heat exchanger/Hot Water Tank, Pentair SolarTouch, Taylor k-2006

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    23

    Heater Questions

    Are these things any good? I could use two or three of them I necessary.


  15. Back To Top    #15
    Mod Squad pooldv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    DFW, TX
    Posts
    23,994

    Re: Heater Questions

    You would get much more bang for your buck with an 8 mil clear solar cover. I expect you lose more heat overnight than you would gain from that solar heater. A solar cover would hold the heat in overnight. Solar heating is all about square footage exposed to the sun and that just isn't big enough.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oakbank, Canada
    Posts
    383

    Re: Heater Questions

    No one that have seen has had good success with them, not enough surface area to heat properly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody87 View Post
    Are these things any good? I could use two or three of them I necessary.

    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    23

    Heater Questions

    I currently have a pool cover that looks like bubble wrap, is that a solar cover?

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Oakbank, Canada
    Posts
    383

    Re: Heater Questions

    Yes, the best ones are the clear ones though, they let a lot more sun in to heat the water. But the blue ones work too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cody87 View Post
    I currently have a pool cover that looks like bubble wrap, is that a solar cover?
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    23

    Heater Questions

    Should the flat side be down or up?

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    23

    Re: Heater Questions

    Quote Originally Posted by LFrankow View Post
    What I have learned so far running various pools to the south of you in Medicine Hat, Alberta.
    Solar cover is first best for the $ improvement, retention.
    I use a combo system both solar and a heat exchanger on my HWT.
    heat exchanger is nice for start of season and end of season, I mostly use it at night to retain heat in the pool.
    With solar I have gotten my smaller pools to 92 F during hot spells.
    At present my home made solar panel is 5 feet x 16 feet with 600 feet of 3/4' tubing in it. It used to get me 16 foot ring pool to 84 np at all, then I upgraded to a 24 foot frame, so I will be adding more sq ft of solar collector this year. Reading in the forums here the consensus is sq ft of surface area of pool = surface area of collector.
    How much did it cost you to build that yourself?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •