How long to circulate before retesting?

Jan 22, 2016
Portland,OR
So my cc got away from me again and I'm slamming the pool. My question is, after I put in the chlorine, how long before I check again to see if I've eliminated it yet? It's an Endless Pool so I turn on the current and mix it like crazy for a few minutes. Should I check it again then right away, wait 15, wait 2 hours, or what?

I want to avoid NOT adding enough chlorine and making it worse.

Thanks folks!
Jenn

Thanks Kim! I've been checking it several times today because I was trying to wait "long enough" without knowing if breakpoint is reached and then bam, cc is gone, or if it's a longer thing. Raised chlorine from 4 to 11 and now finally am not getting cc when I test, phew.

So now I just wait for it to come down to a swimmable level, right?

"Overnight" is 8-12 hours, right? It's indoors so I can disregard the light thing.

So I'll check in like an hour and make sure there's no more cc and then watch it for the next 8, and if it drops more than 1 ppm I'll maintain instead of watch. Ok.

thank you! ;)

Water has been beautifully clear the whole time, no smell, all other parameters correct. Holding chlorine now at 12 (up from 4) and getting a slight pink again on the cc, doh. Going to watch it for another hour and recheck. I would like it to be swimmable tomorrow midday when we have people coming over, even if I need to use Chem-Out, but I need the durn cc to be banished and stay gone first. Maybe not gonna work anymore.

I've got the window open and ceiling fans on high, too, hoping to speed it up a bit.

Hesitant to use MPS because I've heard it can cause skin reactions and two out of 5 family members are very sensitive. Been keeping them out of the pool any time chlorine is above 5, and of course if cc is present...

Aldo trying to follow instructions from Endless Pool combined with all I've learned here on the forum. EP says nothing about non-chlorine shock, and recommends liquid chlorine so that's what I'm trying to do. I have the UV light and a Nature2 cartridge (can't decide if I should chuck that.)
Because it's an indoor pool I can't ever burn anything off, so it's hard to figure out how to not let the cc get away from me, and ideally we want to swim and this is the third time where I've had to put the family on hold until I get the pool back in order, :(. We've had it since December. Keeping it at 86 may make it more like a spa, too, so I read all I can in spas and indoor pools to help me get a clue about things.

A new day, same old pool, still getting cc this morning after maintaining chlorine at 12ppm overnight. Grrgh.

The weird thing is that the TC level doesn't drop, it just stays there. So it's not being used up but I'm still getting new cc, so then I add more bleach for that, etc etc.

Tell me more about MPS if I wanted to use it. Could I do it selectively and still eliminate prior to using it?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would only use MPS as a last resort. Consistent use of MPS will build up sulfates in your pool and that can cause problems when they get high enough. Also, MPS will interfere with the DPD-FAS test requiring you to buy an extra reagent to account for the MPS.

It sounds like you might need to invest in some form of supplemental oxidation. You said you have a UV source but it may not be powerful enough. Paramount makes a UV system capable of holding up to 4 UV-C lamps. You might need that. Ozone is another form of supplemental oxidation you can use. You might have to keep the pool uncovered and use higher doses of chlorine in between swims to keep the CCs down thus treating the pool more like a hot tub.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.