Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skimmer basket nets

1. Back To Top    #1

Skimmer basket nets

I keep seeing people reference using cheap nets from Amazon. Can someone recommend a good choice? I looking for fine filtration, something to stop pollen.

Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Skimmer basket nets

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

3. Back To Top    #3

Amazon.com: disposibale hair nets

Got ya covered!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulNoise View Post
    These are the expensive version -

Amazon.com : Jed Industries 80-852 Pool Skimmer Sock : Swimming Pool Skimmers : Patio, Lawn Garden

But now I use these -

Amazon.com: Disposable Hair Net, Spun-Bonded Polypropylene, White, 100 per Bag: Sports Outdoors

Note, the hair nets will likely not help with the pollen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk,16k gal SWG pool (All Pentair), QuadDE100 Filter, Taylor K-2006
    I will likely use the expensive version right now while I am having pollen issues. Then switch to the cheap versions. Thank you for your help!

Freeform /620 Surface/110 perimeter/20k gal/ Raised bond beam/Baja shelf (2)//Pentair- Intelliflo VS pump, Pentair Whisperflo 1hp// Easytouch, C&C 520 Cartridge, Intellichlor SWCG// A&A- Magnasweep in-floor, LeafVac, Venturi Skimmer,// Mini-pebble (Aqua Blue w abalone shell)//4 Pentair Globrite LEDs//3 sheer descents//Travertine coping and decking.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks Kim

6. Back To Top    #6

Can I ask why you would want to use the nets? I have a Pentair 520 4 cartridge filter that does just fine. Are you trying to avoid cleaning your cartridge filter after pollen season. Our pollen season is just starting to get real bad and just curious.
    8500 gallon IG Pebble Sheen with Spa. 3hp Pentair VS Intelliflo ( pool ), 3/4 hp WhisperFlo ( water feature ),Pentair Racer, 400K Pentair heater, Pentair 500sqft Cartridge filter, EasyTouch 8, Stenner 45mp2 15gallon wired to ET8

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by rphpool View Post
    Can I ask why you would want to use the nets? I have a Pentair 520 4 cartridge filter that does just fine. Are you trying to avoid cleaning your cartridge filter after pollen season. Our pollen season is just starting to get real bad and just curious.
    From my experience, using the fine skimmer sock really cuts down on the fine particulates going into the filter. My filter definitely stays cleaner. The cheaper hair nets are great for the large debris and it allows you to just pull the net out with all the gunk in it and throw it all away. No need to rinse out the strainer basket with a hose or anything.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

8. Back To Top    #8

I use the regular skimmer socks that you rinse out and reuse. Having a hose nearby makes it fast and easy. They sure do save my filter from all that fluffy icky pollen!

My concern about the disposable hairnet ones is that being made out of polypropylene they are not biodegradable.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

9. Back To Top    #9

I have been using the hair nets for a while now and they work great. My filter pressure has not increased at all since I have started using a robot to clean the pool and using hair nets in my skimmers.
    38000 Gal, IG, Plaster, 20' x 40' x 10', Attached Raised Spa, Intelliflo VS 3 HP (011018), Pentair Quad DE 60 Filter, Raypak (Rheem) 400,000 BTU (407a low Nox), Easy Touch 8 upgrade, Screenlogic 2 with wireless, IS-4 Spa Side Remote, Stenner 45MPHP10 w/15 gal tank, Intellibrite 5g (3), Dolphin Triton Plus robot with PRO remote, Water Tech Catfish handheld vacuum for spa, TF100 with SpeedStir.

10. Back To Top    #10

And how do they go in the basket, stretched over the top or do you stretch them and then weigh them down with something? Anyone care to post a photo?
    Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

11. Back To Top    #11

TFP Guide

I stretch mine over the skimmer and weight down with a rock that is slightly bigger than my suction line in case I accidentally drop it in the skimmer while the basket is out. Picture when I get home unless someone beats me to it.
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

12. Back To Top    #12

Great, thanks!

Pool completed 3/21/2016
    8800 gallons, plaster 14' x 24', 3/4 hp Hayward pump, Hayward cartridge filter, Blue Essence T-5 SWG, Kreepy Krauly Kruiser, Taylor K-2006 test kit with Speedstir, Taylor K-1766 salt test and 250 sq. ft. of Heliocol solar panels with Pentair Solartouch control system

13. Back To Top    #13

Same thing as atttech.... During yucky pollen time I double my hair nets...works great
    Montgomery, AL
    27000 16 x 36 IG, Vinyl, Grecian, Hayward Sand filter, 1 HP Pentair whisperflo motor, Aqua Genie filter not by choice, no extra jets, Dolphin s300i robotic cleaner,Taylor K 2006 test kit, speed-stir which I couldn't live without!

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

IMG_1147.JPGThis is two days in a fairly windy area. The rock is just as much to hold the basket down as the hair net.IMG_1148.JPG
    12,300 Gallon, IG PebbleFina, 3 ft sheer, 2 Jandy nicheless LED lights, Jandy Pro 1.5HP VS pump (A.O. Smith Motor), PB4-60 Booster pump, Polaris 280, Jandy cv340 cartridge filter, Zodiac Z4 control panel W/iAquaLink, Stenner pumps for chlorine & MA connected to WiOn WiFi switches, TF-100. You can support TFP with AmazonSmile just click the link!

15. Back To Top    #15

Perfect! Thanks!

Pool completed 3/21/2016

16. Back To Top    #16

an even cheaper method, knee high pantie hose from Walmart..
    AG 24' round 15k gal
    cartridge filter 125sf

17. Back To Top    #17

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by pbhound View Post
    an even cheaper method, knee high pantie hose from Walmart..
    The hairnets are $6 per 100. I know the knee highs are reusable, but they don't last very long because the chlorine eats the elastic. You just toss the hair nets and you have to clean the knee highs. That's why I switched.

I do still use knee highs in my leaf canister because they fit better.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

18. Back To Top    #18

I just ordered this as my pool is getting a lot of pollen. Can or should these be used on the pump basket as well?
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

NO!
    Never use anything in the pump basket. It's way too likely to wind up wrapped around the pump impeller.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

20. Back To Top    #20

Got it. Thanks a lot.
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast