New Pool Build/DFW, Texas

Tex599

Mar 10, 2016
Fort Worth tx
First post, been reading quite a bit and now curious about my first bids. We are looking at building a 16' X 32' pool, 81' to 88' perimeter and depth range of 3'5" to 5' to 4'. Roughly about 571 to 730 sq ft of decking, travertine for decking and coping and then glass tile. Have not decided on the plaster yet. The quotes we have received range from $32K to $56K and all include the base decking (no travertine) and base equipment.

Couple of questions after reading through alot of threads:

Anybody have travertine and do you like it for the decking?

Most quotes include perimeter suspended box beam with #4 bars and the shell is #3 bars, I can upgrade to a #4 shell for $400, should I?

Equipment is basic and includes Jandy DEV 60 DE filter, 1.5hp Jandy Pump, Polaris 280 with 3/4 booster pump, 2 skimmers and Rainbow 320 in line 3" chlorinator. What should I ask for and upgrade too or is this stuff good?

Plumbing is 2" and 1 1/2" lines from pool to equipment and 1 1/2" from equipment to pool. Dual main drains sched 40PVC 2". Do I want all 2" plumbing?

Thoughts?

Thank you and glad I found this place.

First post, been reading quite a bit and now curious about my first bids. We are looking at building a 16' X 32' pool, 81' to 88' perimeter and depth range of 3'5" to 5' to 4'. Roughly about 571 to 730 sq ft of decking, travertine for decking and coping and then glass tile. Have not decided on the plaster yet. The quotes we have received range from $32K to $56K and all include the base decking (no travertine) and base equipment.

Couple of questions after reading through alot of threads:

Anybody have travertine and do you like it for the decking?

Most quotes include perimeter suspended box beam with #4 bars and the shell is #3 bars, I can upgrade to a #4 shell for $400, should I?

Equipment is basic and includes Jandy DEV 60 DE filter, 1.5hp Jandy Pump, Polaris 280 with 3/4 booster pump, 2 skimmers and Rainbow 320 in line 3" chlorinator. What should I ask for and upgrade too or is this stuff good?

Plumbing is 2" and 1 1/2" lines from pool to equipment and 1 1/2" from equipment to pool. Dual main drains sched 40PVC 2". Do I want all 2" plumbing?

Thoughts?

Thank you and glad I found this place.
Welcome to the forum. :wave:

I have travertine in a completely non-pool setting....it is wonderful to look at. Others will comment on how it does around pools.

the 1.5 hp pump is a little big. a 1 hp 2 speed is a better option. A VS pump may be good, too, but the price will be eye-opening.

The 280 polaris is no longer very popular. A robot is not much more and generally folks like them much better

The rainbow chlorinator is OK for vacations, etc., but we will strongly discourage you from the use of pucks as your primary sanitation source.

Plumbing sizes are fine. I personally would install another skimmer for a total of three but two is certainly adequate.

For more info on the pucks, please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School.....it's where we all begin our pool chem lessons!

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the new pool.

I have seen lots and lotsm of people here who have, and love, travertine pool decks. I expect some will stop by.

I expect your PB is willing to give you a lifetime poolshell warranty with the #3 rebar, I wouldn't upgrade it. That money would be better spent upgrading to a variable speed pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.