New pool and hardscape construction in Ellicott City Maryland

tlmxyz1

Gold Supporter
Oct 15, 2015
Ellicott City/MD
Hi everyone,

After a few obstacles thrown at us by the county we're very excited (and a little anxious and stressed!) with getting this project started. Trees have come down and demo of the old patio is in progress. I'm going to try my best to post pics and some time-lapse video of the project.

I would love any feedback or suggestions. We are first-time pool owners and want to make sure we are making good decisions and choosing the right options before everything is set in stone.

Here's some info:

Pool:

• 770SF freeform gunite, 3'.6"-8' depth with raised beam
  • Nicolock Fullnose 4x12" coping in Travertina color
  • Baja shelf
  • 2 Pentair Lighted Sheer descents with booster and controller
  • 2 Pentair LED lights
  • 3 Colorcascade LED blubbers
  • Pentair IC-40 salt purification
  • Pentair 3HP Intelliflo VS pump
  • Pentiar Easy Touch 8 Control Panel
  • Pentair Screen Logic Bundle for Mobile Integration
  • Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter
  • 2 Skimmers, 4 returns
  • Goby pressure cleaner with booster pump
  • Raypak 406A Digital 399K btu propane heater
  • DiamondBbrite (Still need to decide on color, but so far it's Super Blue)
  • 6" waterline tile, steps and benches tile

Paver Patio and Pool Deck:

• Nicolock Stoneridge and and Stone Ridge XL pavers (random pattern) in Travertina color
  • Pool border and soldier course will be in Nicolock Ridge Brick in Golden Brown Blend or Oyster.

Natural Stone Retaining Wall, Steps, Grill Station and Fireplace:

• Marriottsville natural stone (local quarry) in a stacked design
  • Steps and grill counter, fireplace hearth, teirs, mantle and raised hearth: 2" thick PA Bluestone treadstock (edges thermally finished)
  • Grill and Wok burner by Alfresco (LP gas)

design.jpg

Last edited:
Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: That should be quite a show when it's done. Make sure to post pics for us. Your proposed set-up look pretty solid to me, although I might ask to confirm with the builder if 4 return jets is adequate enough for your size pool. Two skimmers is great, but then you want sufficient water getting pushed-back towards those skimmers, taking into account "dead spots" in circulation due to curves and angles of the pool itself. That's the only thing that caught my eye. You'll see more replies as well I'm sure. Nice to have you with us.

This all sounds quite exciting! I'm sure the last few days of 80 degree weather has gotten you in the spirit! I'll just make a few comments:

- Consider dropping the pressure cleaner and booster pump. A good robot is really a better choice - no extra pump to run, all self-contained.
- Upgrade one more size to the IC-60 SWCG. It will last longer and make the long-term cost cheaper.
- If you haven't, give ample consideration to your volleyball net setup/inserts. You will want to pick out your exact system now before construction begins - since it would need to be bonded and considered prior to decking. Honestly with your setup going on here, I'd get a high end stainless system with the largest poles/bases you can. Such as this...https://www.coolpoolproducts.com/products/The-CoolPool-Volleyball-System.html There may even be better systems. Your depth profile isn't the best for volleyball but the deep end folks can be on floats. We did not go with volleyball but just a heavy duty portable basketball hoop. (Which you can see in our build thread in my signature -and good job on your signature BTW).

I'll let others comment if they feel the DE filter is sized appropriately (i.e. appropriately oversized)

Thanks neighbor,

Yes, the 80 degree weather definitely helps but as you know we could get snow in April! Thanks for all the great advice, I'm going to bring up all of these details with the designer today. I just quickly went though your build pics and I have to see it's amazingly beautiful. I'm going to take a closer look at your build process over the weekend. They are scheduled to dig the pool week after next.

Tim

A couple comments.

You are the cusp between 1 and 2 skimmers -- talk to the PB -- If you get two you want them to collect debris from different wind patterns.

Four returns is probably enough, Five or six would be better

Lights are a problem. They can be difficult to service below a swim out and you want them facing away from the seating areas -- You need the two LEDs They should not go on your back wall.

Get the largest SWG and filter you can afford. Its not that expensive to oversize both. If you have an algae problems you will thank me for the oversized DE Filter.

Go with a robot. Much less expensive.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi everyone,

After a few obstacles thrown at us by the county we're very excited (and a little anxious and stressed!) with getting this project started. Trees have come down and demo of the old patio is in progress. I'm going to try my best to post pics and some time-lapse video of the project.

I would love any feedback or suggestions. We are first-time pool owners and want to make sure we are making good decisions and choosing the right options before everything is set in stone.

Here's some info:

Pool:

• 770SF freeform gunite, 3'.6"-8' depth with raised beam
  • Nicolock Fullnose 4x12" coping in Travertina color
  • Baja shelf
  • 2 Pentair Lighted Sheer descents with booster and controller
  • 2 Pentair LED lights
  • 3 Colorcascade LED blubbers
  • Pentair IC-40 salt purification
  • Pentair 3HP Intelliflo VS pump
  • Pentiar Easy Touch 8 Control Panel
  • Pentair Screen Logic Bundle for Mobile Integration
  • Pentair FNS Plus 60 DE filter
  • 2 Skimmers, 4 returns
  • Goby pressure cleaner with booster pump
  • Raypak 406A Digital 399K btu propane heater
  • DiamondBbrite (Still need to decide on color, but so far it's Super Blue)
  • 6" waterline tile, steps and benches tile

Paver Patio and Pool Deck:

• Nicolock Stoneridge and and Stone Ridge XL pavers (random pattern) in Travertina color
  • Pool border and soldier course will be in Nicolock Ridge Brick in Golden Brown Blend or Oyster.

Natural Stone Retaining Wall, Steps, Grill Station and Fireplace:

• Marriottsville natural stone (local quarry) in a stacked design
  • Steps and grill counter, fireplace hearth, teirs, mantle and raised hearth: 2" thick PA Bluestone treadstock (edges thermally finished)
  • Grill and Wok burner by Alfresco (LP gas)

View attachment 45628
Great planning! We used to live in Ellicott City in the 80's. Wonderful area. Looking forward to progress reports. Buy a good brush.

Thanks for your advice and input. With lights, are you referring to the sheer descent lights at the top of the pool? The LED 2 pool lights must have been left off of this revision, there going to be the right side of the pool. We do get a lot of algae on the house and in the pond so I'n definitely going to look into the larger SWG. I also need to get a better understanding of how to determine the number of returns for a pool.

Tim

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Kim,

Your welcome! Thanks for the shout out. Click below to see the before shot:

screenshot.net/l6o42i2

Hopefully you are still able to get some good sun with the tall trees around, or your heater and wallet will get a workout. Do you plan to use a solar cover? Any cover will be very helpful to retain heat at night and on breezy days.

Hopefully you are still able to get some good sun with the tall trees around, or your heater and wallet will get a workout. Do you plan to use a solar cover? Any cover will be very helpful to retain heat at night and on breezy days.

We had a bunch of trees taken down, not sure if it's enough. I'd like to look into a solar cover too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.