Help! Remodel done now i'm ready to learn the ways of my pool

Ebj

Dec 25, 2015
Redding, CA
Just finished my remodel on our new house and now I'm ready to start managing my"Green" pool. I just received the TFP Kit. I'm ready to go. It appears that I need to SLAM my pool. So I assuming I need to test my levels with the kit and us Pool Math to determine what my I need to put in it. Is that the case? Help I'm a complete rookie. Thanks.

You it right on the first try! Good job! There are only two things not done yet:

-put your test kit in your signature so everyone will know you have one

-take and share pictures of your pool. We LOVE pictures AND they will help you see your progress on a day to day bases. Use photo bucket to share the pics.

Run a full set of tests. List them like this:

FC
CC
PH
TA
CH
CYA

Ask and and all questions you might have no matter how small.

Kim

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on taking over your pool!

Run the tests and post your results and we'll see where you are. Also, test the CH and TA of your fill water.

Start reading here to understand your water chemistry, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You are also going to need to SLAM the pool to kill the algae, more here on that here, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Be sure to set up everything in Poolmath in the Suggested Goal Levels first. There is a link to a guide at the top of the Poolmath page for first timers.

Here are my levels:

FC - 1
PH - 7.8
TA - 110
CH - 300ppm
CYA - 100

So basically no chlorine....

next step? SLAM?
Not quite....

If the CYA test reads 100 it could be even higher. So the next step is to rerun that test using the dilution method, step 9. Pour the test sample back and forth as many times as you need to be sure of your readings.

If CYA is truly 100 or higher, you might as well bite the bullet and do a partial water replacement before you start dumping bleach in. You'll need less bleach to clear it that way. Also, if CYA is 100, your minimum FC will be 7 and your target will be around 10, which is where the pH test starts to get skewed. It's much easier to maintain the pool if the CYA is around 50. For the SLAM, it's easier if the CYA is closer to 30, but I understand why you might not want to replace 70% of the water.

Ok, Thanks. If I don't want to replace 70% of my water is there another option?
Replace half?

If CYA is only 100, shock level is 39 FC. To get there initially will take 11 jugs of 8.25% Clorox. To maintain it will require untold amounts more. What if CYA turns out to be closer to 120? Then it's 13 jugs just to get started! The frequent FC testing will require HUGE amounts of FAS-DPD reagents. The savings on just the initial load of bleach and the test kit refills will buy a lot of water. Check with your water company. Some of them allow a water change every few years without going into the higher-tiered rates if you notify them in advance.

Ok, Makes sense. I'll start draining and brushing the sides of the pool now.....

So after I refill it with 50% new water, do I start the testing again and use pool math to determine what needs to take place?
Test CYA first. You don't want to end up draining half and then retesting it to find it at 70 or 80. This thread title explains it all CYA at 100 after 80% drain and refill

Once you have the CYA down to something manageable, then you run the full battery of tests and adjust pH and start SLAMming. After the drain and refill, run the pump awhile and brush to get the water mixed well and then test and post the results. Someone will be along to advise you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
oops. Well i've almost drained 1/2 of the pool. I didn't come back to read your last post in time. So since I"m draining it. I would love any input on next steps. Don't want to mess this up. Thank so much ahead of time for helping this rookie.

You're fine Ebj. As Richard said in his last post #10, re-check your CYA once you fill the pool back up. Read that link he provided as well. The key is to keep replacing enough water to adjust CYA to something more manageable - hopefully at least to around 50-ish or so. How much you drain at one always depends on your local water table and ground conditions. It would be great if we could all replace all the water at once, but sometimes that's not possible. Sometimes you have to do more than one partial drain, and that's okay if that happens. After the CYA is lower, then you can start adjusting everything else.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.