Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help! Remodel done now i'm ready to learn the ways of my pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Help! Remodel done now i'm ready to learn the ways of my pool

Just finished my remodel on our new house and now I'm ready to start managing my"Green" pool. I just received the TFP Kit. I'm ready to go. It appears that I need to SLAM my pool. So I assuming I need to test my levels with the kit and us Pool Math to determine what my I need to put in it. Is that the case? Help I'm a complete rookie. Thanks.
    22,151 gallons, IG, Pebbletech, Pentair Quad D.E., Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed
    Built in 1993 then pebble tech applied in 1999, TF100 kit w/ Speedster, Basic K-1000

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help! Remodel done now i'm ready to learn the ways of my pool

You it right on the first try! Good job! There are only two things not done yet:

-put your test kit in your signature so everyone will know you have one

-take and share pictures of your pool. We LOVE pictures AND they will help you see your progress on a day to day bases. Use photo bucket to share the pics.

Run a full set of tests. List them like this:

FC
    CC
    PH
    TA
    CH
    CYA

Ask and and all questions you might have no matter how small.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on taking over your pool!

Run the tests and post your results and we'll see where you are. Also, test the CH and TA of your fill water.

Start reading here to understand your water chemistry, Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

You are also going to need to SLAM the pool to kill the algae, more here on that here, Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

Be sure to set up everything in Poolmath in the Suggested Goal Levels first. There is a link to a guide at the top of the Poolmath page for first timers.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Sounds great. I put the test kit in signature and pics are coming soon. I'll put my test results on here as well so you can help me
    22,151 gallons, IG, Pebbletech, Pentair Quad D.E., Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed
    Built in 1993 then pebble tech applied in 1999, TF100 kit w/ Speedster, Basic K-1000

5. Back To Top    #5

Here are my levels:

FC - 1
    PH - 7.8
    TA - 110
    CH - 300ppm
    CYA - 100

So basically no chlorine....

next step? SLAM?

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Ebj View Post
    Here are my levels:

FC - 1
    PH - 7.8
    TA - 110
    CH - 300ppm
    CYA - 100

So basically no chlorine....

next step? SLAM?
    Not quite....

If the CYA test reads 100 it could be even higher. So the next step is to rerun that test using the dilution method, step 9. Pour the test sample back and forth as many times as you need to be sure of your readings.

If CYA is truly 100 or higher, you might as well bite the bullet and do a partial water replacement before you start dumping bleach in. You'll need less bleach to clear it that way. Also, if CYA is 100, your minimum FC will be 7 and your target will be around 10, which is where the pH test starts to get skewed. It's much easier to maintain the pool if the CYA is around 50. For the SLAM, it's easier if the CYA is closer to 30, but I understand why you might not want to replace 70% of the water.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, Thanks. If I don't want to replace 70% of my water is there another option?

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, Thanks. If I don't want to replace 70% of my water is there another option?
    Replace half?

If CYA is only 100, shock level is 39 FC. To get there initially will take 11 jugs of 8.25% Clorox. To maintain it will require untold amounts more. What if CYA turns out to be closer to 120? Then it's 13 jugs just to get started! The frequent FC testing will require HUGE amounts of FAS-DPD reagents. The savings on just the initial load of bleach and the test kit refills will buy a lot of water. Check with your water company. Some of them allow a water change every few years without going into the higher-tiered rates if you notify them in advance.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Ok, Makes sense. I'll start draining and brushing the sides of the pool now.....

So after I refill it with 50% new water, do I start the testing again and use pool math to determine what needs to take place?

10. Back To Top    #10

Ok, Makes sense. I'll start draining and brushing the sides of the pool now.....

So after I refill it with 50% new water, do I start the testing again and use pool math to determine what needs to take place?
    Test CYA first. You don't want to end up draining half and then retesting it to find it at 70 or 80. This thread title explains it all CYA at 100 after 80% drain and refill

Once you have the CYA down to something manageable, then you run the full battery of tests and adjust pH and start SLAMming. After the drain and refill, run the pump awhile and brush to get the water mixed well and then test and post the results. Someone will be along to advise you.

11. Back To Top    #11

oops. Well i've almost drained 1/2 of the pool. I didn't come back to read your last post in time. So since I"m draining it. I would love any input on next steps. Don't want to mess this up. Thank so much ahead of time for helping this rookie.

12. Back To Top    #12

You're fine Ebj. As Richard said in his last post #10, re-check your CYA once you fill the pool back up. Read that link he provided as well. The key is to keep replacing enough water to adjust CYA to something more manageable - hopefully at least to around 50-ish or so. How much you drain at one always depends on your local water table and ground conditions. It would be great if we could all replace all the water at once, but sometimes that's not possible. Sometimes you have to do more than one partial drain, and that's okay if that happens. After the CYA is lower, then you can start adjusting everything else.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!