Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto-fill or no?

1. Back To Top    #1

Auto-fill or no?

It seems that my PB forgot to put in the auto-fill pipe into the side of my pool before gunite .
    I thought having this was a good feature , but have now read a few threads where people have stopped using theirs ?
    should I just leave it alone and just op off the pool with a hose ? Or let him chip out the hole and install the auto-fill ??

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Auto-fill or no?

Personally I am against them as they can mask other problems like if one of your pipes springs a leak underground, with an autofill you may not know it until the water bill comes in, and if your water department is like the ones around here they bill a month behind the usage so you may be looking a 60+ days of water leaking before you get the bill. Add to that your location on the coast in Alabama, and chances are you will need to drain water more often than filling it anyway due to thermal thunderstorms in the spring and summer months when you will be mostly using your pool.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Here in the desert, I wouldn't want to be without one.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I have an auto fill, but i use it kind of like a manual fill valve. I keep it mostly off, but will turn it on about once a week to top off the pool. It fills real slow, but i usually turn it on then turn it off the next day. Having my $65k pool fill from a line built into the wall of the pool sure looks better than a hose hanging over the side... but that is just me.

If it can be done without too much hassle, then by all means have one put in. Not having an auto fill is not a deal breaker.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir

5. Back To Top    #5

I need to take a picture of mine for you. Mine is hooked up to a water manifold on a hose hook up at the wall. This way I can turn it on for a day or two then turn it off easily. It's a nice setup without leaving it on all the time. I will try to get a picture up soon for you.
    12K gal, custom flipped kidney bean with spillover spa. All Pentair equipment, Whisperflo 1 1/2 HP, 400K BTU heater, Intellichlor IC 40 SWG, CCP-320 Cartridge filters, Kreepy Krauly pool cleaner with bootster pump, QuartzScapes in Aruba Sky blue, LED lights and travertine tiles for decking and stones on rear edge for landscaping. TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir

6. Back To Top    #6

I am a big fan of my autofill and overflow. It makes water level a non-issue. Otherwise, it is a regular maintenance chore that has to be done at inconvenient times like when it's raining. We did develop a leak a couple of years ago but it was very easy to tell because our water bill went up about 100 bucks. One $100 water bill and leak in 4 years vs dozens, if not hundreds, of times to drain/fill the pool is worth it to me.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

7. Back To Top    #7

I agree with pooldv. We travel a lot and I don't want the hassle of having to fill it. Because we have an infinity edge pool, the valve for the auto refill is in the catch basin.

8. Back To Top    #8

i like my autofill. puts out fixed amount every day so if level becomes low then i know i have a leak. definitive advantage when on vacation.
    i like pool working for me rather than other way around.

9. Back To Top    #9

I would have him plumb a dedicated line from a water source near the pool so you dont have to run a hose every time you need to fill. Ours comes from the sprinkler manifold and has a manual valve that can be easily swap for a sprinkler valve to be controlled by the sprinkler timer. Water poures out from raised bond beam like a water feature which makes it hard to forget to shut off.

10. Back To Top    #10

If you want an auto fill you should have your PB drill the hole in the pool now. I like mine but they do hide leaks.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

11. Back To Top    #11

Is an autofill something that can added at a later date? I never even inquired with my PB on one but I would like to add it. Anyone have a favorite or a link to one?
    ~Chris - 20,000 gallons free-form gunite / Pebbletec, Aquapure 1400 SWG, 2 HP Jandy VS Main Pool Pump, 2 HP Jandy Water feature Pump, 580 Jandy cartridge filter, Dolphin M500, TF-100 w/Speedstir.

12. Back To Top    #12

22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

13. Back To Top    #13

Thanks. I'm already swimming - I guess I meant a later date from pool construction. Looks like goes where my fill nozzle line is in the skimmer?
    ~Chris - 20,000 gallons free-form gunite / Pebbletec, Aquapure 1400 SWG, 2 HP Jandy VS Main Pool Pump, 2 HP Jandy Water feature Pump, 580 Jandy cartridge filter, Dolphin M500, TF-100 w/Speedstir.

14. Back To Top    #14

Our builder doesn't like or recommend auto-fills either, but he also had a really novel way to address not installing one. He plumbed a sprinkler/solenoid feed for one zone to his pool. When evaporation starts becoming an issue, he turns the zone on and just adjusts the run time. It does the job and makes sure total unregulated flow of expensive city water can't happen.

We're going to take his idea a bit further and just install it to an auto-fill so it can only run for a limited time and at that, only when needed. I also plan on installing a water meter in the line so I can watch total gallons used. I have one already on my Koi pond and it's awesome. I know how many gallons a year go into it. Even more importantly I know how many gallons per water change so I can adjust dechlorinator to the right amount.

This is it:

http://www.amazon.com/GARDENA-WATER-.../dp/B007NHRSOY

Reminds me I need to order one.

plat.
    Modern Geometric-ish Social Pool (4'-5'-4') ~13' x 47'. Sun shelf. Perimeter overflow spa. RiverFlow Swimjet. Dog ramp. "Bubble Lounge"©
    Link to my patio build, completed 2013
    Link to my pool build, Aug '15 - Sep '16

15. Back To Top    #15

It can really go just about anywhere. Depending on model -- it may need a eight inch hole in the deck and a line into the pool.

Oh and in many locations there must be a listed back-flow preventer installed before the autofill to comply with code. California requires them and some other states also.

16. Back To Top    #16

my autofill is hooked up to a spigot on the back of my house. With the spigot open, I can hear the water running through the pipe in the wall of my master bath everytime a autofill valve opens. Hearing that water running the pipes .. on off. on off. ... drives me crazy, so I just turned it off.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    If you want an auto fill you should have your PB drill the hole in the pool now. I like mine but they do hide leaks.
    Not necessarily. My auto-fill level is a bit lower than my auto-drain level. By simply looking at my pool, I could tell when my auto-fill decides to go rogue. Like most everything else related to taking care of your pool: you have to actually make an effort to understand what's happening with the various systems.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

18. Back To Top    #18

Im thinking about running a 1/2" conduit from the auto fill to the equipment area in case i ever wanted to install a cooling tower electronic level control. I probably will...Conduit is cheap.

http://mrgoodtower.com/sites/mrgoodt...l%20System.pdf
    O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

19. Back To Top    #19

I have an autofill but use or sparingly. But I like it a lot because I don't have to ever runa hose into the pool or worry about turning off a hose. When the builder installed it the solenoid has a rock inside it and it never turned off. So in a little worried about keeping it on when info on vacation but when in hike I can hear he water running through the house song always know when it's on
    1200 Sq Ft 41,000 Gal. Gunite, JANDY SVRS VS pump, JANDY JXI 400,000 BTU, Polaris 280 w/ 3/4 BP, Rockwall and Grotto (w/6 jets and blower), 2 JANDY Lam Jets, 2 LED Bubblers, 5 Ledlights, AQUALINK P16 RS, 90% Quartz, SWF 185 GMP BP, SWF 125 BP, Levelor K1100 Autofill, AP Digital SWG, 2 skim and 5 returns, and mostly 3 inch piping

20. Back To Top    #20

My Pool-miser autofill is wonderful. We lose as much as an inch a day during the July-September period and my idiot neighbor is always running his pump dry due to inattention to the water level. It's based on a FluidMaster toilet tank valve and is trouble-free.
    I don't see the down side to this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    It can really go just about anywhere. Depending on model -- it may need a eight inch hole in the deck and a line into the pool.

Oh and in many locations there must be a listed back-flow preventer installed before the autofill to comply with code. California requires them and some other states also.
    Yeah - a plumber quoted me $900 for a backflow manifold recently. My pool is grandfathered and does not need it.
    15K IG, WetEdge technology lined pool, StaRite pump, Hayward DE filter, Hayward Navigator, Zodiac MX8 (junked).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast