Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Preparing for Dig Day Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Preparing for Dig Day Questions

1. I have a 6' privacy fence that needs to be partially taken down for excavation. Do I need to hire someone to do that or can the excavation crew handle it?

2. Do I draw the pool outline myself prior to excavation?

Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Preparing for Dig Day Questions

From research and not personal experience:

1. They should do this.

2. Your PB or PM should do this.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

3. Back To Top    #3

I left out an important part....this is an owner build.

4. Back To Top    #4

OH! I'll let someone else answer then. Lol.

Started 5/31/16. 38'x23', 618 sqft., <14,000 gallons, 8' spa.Travertine coping. Raised beam w/3 sheers. Large sunshelf w/3 bubblers. SWG IC40, Pentair VSP, 520 cartridge, color LED lights, Easy-touch, screen logic, Maytronics S300i robot, and Wet Edge Prism Matrix finish (Deep Sea Blue with Indigo plaster). Build Thread: Another in Texas - Cypress Texas | MUD District | HOA Approval | Great Escapes Pools

5. Back To Top    #5

1. That should have been listed by designer and then included in the excavators quote. Did you submit subcontractor notes to each of your subs to quote off along with the plans? It would have been included in these as would say grading etc..

2. Excavator will do this. I HIGHLY recommend having them come lay it aout a couple days in advance giving you time to see if you like the placement, wnat to make any areas larger, move further from the house etc. I did all the above and made most of the changes I listed above. I also recommend having them outline the dig AND then a line inside the dig line where your pool will actually begin or actual swimmable area. Remember, they're going to put about 9" of shotcrete around the sides.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sheree202 View Post
    1. I have a 6' privacy fence that needs to be partially taken down for excavation. Do I need to hire someone to do that or can the excavation crew handle it?

2. Do I draw the pool outline myself prior to excavation?

Thank you
    SUMMER 2015 BUILD IG gunite 38 x 31, 28,000 gal, 110' perimeter, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflow 3hp, Intellibrite LED x2, Clean & Clear 520, Screen Logic, Intelichlor 40, Quartzscape Blue, K-2006C, Speedstir, Aquanaut 400 (4 wheel The Pool Cleaner)

6. Back To Top    #6

I had to temporarily remove my A/C condensing unit so they could get the Bobcat down the side of my house, but the excavator removed the fence - - - - but did not re-install it. That was on me.
    I drew my pool outline with flour weeks before my excavation.

You should call your excavator to make sure it is/is not included in your bid if you are not sure.
    O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

7. Back To Top    #7

1. I'm doing an O/B right now. Most bids I received included the removal of one 6' section of fence. Anything more than that was an additional charge per foot.

2. They will do this. I marked mine about a month prior myself, but I agree with QingGuy
    16k gal, 380 sf, IG Adams Pebble Plus Galaxy Marble, CCP-520, 3 HP Intelliflo VS & 1 HP Whisperflo, IC60 SWG, 400k Master-Temp, 7' Spa, LED laminar (3), Dolphin Nautilus

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes definitely have 2 lines drawn, one for waterline and one for excavation. Our PB did it and it was great to be able to see it and easy to double check for correct measurements. Also, if you have to have city inspections for the layout, it makes it go much smoother.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

9. Back To Top    #9

Whatever you do, make sure they are digging it to your specifications.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you all for such detailed answers!

11. Back To Top    #11

We did our own build and hired someone to draw the outlines before excavation came in. The excavators took down our cinder block wall, but we had discussed that with them well ahead of time. I hope that helps.

Good luck!
    16'x28' 20,000 cement pond, Hayward Filter & Pump, The Pool Cleaner - 2 wheel suction

I built my own pool and wrote about what I learned.
    Our Pool Build