pool water temps getting into the 60's

Water temps are getting above 60 degrees around here a month earlier than last year. Pool was installed in April last year and haven't experienced the spring start up. Closing chemicals were added when closed but didn't know if I should be adding chlorine. Not sure how long temps will be up but will be for the next week. Any thoughts?

Sounds like 60 is the magic number. Of course that was the top of the water that I was measuring ill have
To get the pool thermometer out and fish it in the cover. I have a sump pump set up that will allow me to circulate some bleach into the pool until I get everything in order for opening. Wow this is early!

I'm up in Ellington. Usually in early April I set up my pump, put it on recirculate and pull back a corner of the pool cover and put in some chlorine. I check the chlorine level once a week until I fully open the pool in early to mid May. This in combination with closing the pool at the end of Septermber per the guidance from TFP results in never having to deal with a green pool at opening. I also send in my robot with spring clean up filters once a week during this time.
Looks like I need to get out to my pool today and check the temperature and maybe start my routine a little earlier this year.

Sounds like 60 is the magic number. Of course that was the top of the water that I was measuring ill have
To get the pool thermometer out and fish it in the cover. I have a sump pump set up that will allow me to circulate some bleach into the pool until I get everything in order for opening. Wow this is early!

Water is cooler the deeper you go.

Personally, I typically open in mid-May so the water is ready by Memorial Day, but that was with Baquacil. This is my first season opening with Chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm in lower Westchester Co. NY and pulled back the cover to put in a floating thermometer: surface temp was 60.5°F. I also have a sump pump that I can use to circulate some bleach. I'll check chemistries this week.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.