Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool water temps getting into the 60's

1. Back To Top    #1

pool water temps getting into the 60's

Water temps are getting above 60 degrees around here a month earlier than last year. Pool was installed in April last year and haven't experienced the spring start up. Closing chemicals were added when closed but didn't know if I should be adding chlorine. Not sure how long temps will be up but will be for the next week. Any thoughts?
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool water temps getting into the 60's

I'm in your neighborhood and was starting to wonder the same thing. I can't believe the water is so warm in march.
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

If it were me, I would go ahead and open. I would rather open clear than fight algae. Time is money, and fighting algae is time!

4. Back To Top    #4

Here at TFP we say "open early, close late". With the non-winter this year early is going to be REAL early. Open that baby up!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Sounds like 60 is the magic number. Of course that was the top of the water that I was measuring ill have
    To get the pool thermometer out and fish it in the cover. I have a sump pump set up that will allow me to circulate some bleach into the pool until I get everything in order for opening. Wow this is early!
    16'x34' Kidney 17000 Gallon IG Vinyl liner. Pentair IntelliXF vs pump, Sta-Rite System 3 DE filter. Liquidator, TF-100 Test kit w/ speed stir. Aqua Comfort heat pump, Dolphin Apollo robot, clear solar cover, stamped concrete deck.

6. Back To Top    #6

I looked under the cover on Wed and hung my pool thermometer as low as it would go and got around 55 I better order a pump this weekend.
    20K gallon 32 ft x 16 ft vinyl liner in ground pool || sta-rite modular media P150 cartridge filter || .75 HP whisperflo dual speed pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

7. Back To Top    #7

Did the same with the thermometer and got lower temps. 45degrees. So I think I got a little time. Over night temps are lowering back down. What town are you in bigevilgrape?

8. Back To Top    #8

I'm in Newington too.
    Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

I'm up in Ellington. Usually in early April I set up my pump, put it on recirculate and pull back a corner of the pool cover and put in some chlorine. I check the chlorine level once a week until I fully open the pool in early to mid May. This in combination with closing the pool at the end of Septermber per the guidance from TFP results in never having to deal with a green pool at opening. I also send in my robot with spring clean up filters once a week during this time.
    Looks like I need to get out to my pool today and check the temperature and maybe start my routine a little earlier this year.
    30,000 gal, 20 x 40 ft vinyl, IG, installed 2006
    1 HP WhisperFlo pump, 60 sqft Pentair Quad D.E., Liquidator(8 gallon) with 3/8 upgrade,TigerShark cleaning robot
    TFTestkits TF-100 with SpeedStir,WS
    A proud practitioner of TFP since 2013

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Howard View Post
    Sounds like 60 is the magic number. Of course that was the top of the water that I was measuring ill have
    To get the pool thermometer out and fish it in the cover. I have a sump pump set up that will allow me to circulate some bleach into the pool until I get everything in order for opening. Wow this is early!
    Water is cooler the deeper you go.

Personally, I typically open in mid-May so the water is ready by Memorial Day, but that was with Baquacil. This is my first season opening with Chlorine.
    Chris
    17' x 35' outdoor in-ground Grecian shaped w/ vinyl liner. ≈ 21,000 gallons. Hayward S-200 Sand Filter and 1 HP Hayward Super-pump. Other Accessories: slide, light, ladder, fiberglass stairs, TF-100. Baquacil Conversion - June 2015, SLAM How-to, Chlorine/CYA Chart

11. Back To Top    #11

I'm in lower Westchester Co. NY and pulled back the cover to put in a floating thermometer: surface temp was 60.5F. I also have a sump pump that I can use to circulate some bleach. I'll check chemistries this week.
    Jay--Metro NYC
    35K gal, in-ground, free-form, pebble finish, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, autofill. No spa, no features. Partial shade.
    Pentair C&C cartridge filter (400 sq in), Pentair VS pump, Pentair 140 btu heat pump, Triton Plus Robo-cleaner; Stenner with 55 gal bleach cistern. TFT 100 test kit.