My first stain :(

NewSue

Aug 30, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
New to the forum, new to pools, and after wanting one since childhood, we finally built a pool and I have been in heaven for 6 months. Until today! I noticed my first stain after the pool guy left, he had cleaned lots of leaves out of the pool after we had a major rainstorm earlier this week. I normally keep the pool very clean, I pick up debris in the yard daily before it gets in the pool, and use the net and sometimes the vacuum myself inbetween the weekly pool guy visits. But I didn't remove all the leaves from the bottom of the pool after the storm and they sat for 3 days before the guy came.

Now I see a dark, several inch stain in the deepest part of the pool, as well as a few other lighter ones all in the deep end. I am assuming it is organic, but wonder if it could be something else since the shape of the main stain looks unnatural. I will try to post a pic if I can.

I have a PebbleFina Grigio finish and I am wondering if any of the remedies I have read about could damage the finish? In other words, is it OK to throw anything at this or should I avoid any that might be too harsh for PebbleFina?

(I love the PebbleFina btw for those that are torn in choosing a finish, but it is motley, more so than I expected. The color is outstanding though, and I love the look and the feel.)

I would push the FC (free chlorine) up to just under SLAM level Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart and brush the pool often.

BUT to do this you have to have your own good test kit. Look in my siggy for the one we use and love.

Right now you just think your water looks good. If you get your own test kit and start taking care of your own pool the TFP way it will look like a jewel. It will be so clear that you might look out and wonder where you water has gone on a calm day! (yeah that happened to me! Talk about panic LOL)

If you want to learn how to take care of your own pool AND save quite a bit of money we can teach you. Just let us know what you decide to do.

Kim

Welcome to TFP! Congrats on the newish pool!

Agreed rubbing a puck on it and/or elevating your chlorine level for a while and brushing will eliminate the stain. Also agree with firing the pool guy, buying a TF100 from TFTestkits.net and maintaining your own pool better and cheaper.

image.jpegThanks all, I did buy the TFP test kit, but haven't started using it yet. On my to-do list! I don't mind checking the levels myself but wated the pool guy to handle the liquid chlorine (it makes me irritated) and to brush, which is a bit physical for me, but I am not sure how well he is even doing that! Would you recommend a device that they sell at Leslie's? It is very pricey, but wonder if it is worth it or too much of a hassle?

I am now thinking the stain may be rust? It is a weird shape, almost like something man made. It is rust colored and I noticed a slight color at the base of each of the drains nearby. I wonder if something fell into the pool during our last rain storm? The pool guy said he has something for the stain but I haven't seen him. Maybe he meant at the next cleaning which will be in a few days. I will try posting a picture. Thanks much for the suggestions.

Its hard to tell what it is.
If its organic, raising the FC for a while will get rid of it. Or rubbing it with a chlorine puck.

If its rust, vitamin C will remove it like magic. PUt some vitamin C pills in a stocking and then put it on the stain. If its rust, it will lift right off.

Thanks all! It turned out that a AAA battery fell in the pool during a rain storm. Don't ask me how, I have no idea! The pool guy got the stain out with a commercial product (can't remember what it was exactly, maybe something like Stain Out?) using a contraption with a piece of PVC pipe with a scrunge like sponge attached to deliver a small amount of the stain remover at the right spot. It doesn't seem to be coming back so I am relieved it does not appear to be from rebar too close to the surface as I feared!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.