BBQ Island Kitchen and Bar Table Build

Sep 2, 2015
sacramento
Thanks to everyone that answered my questions and to everyone on this board that has shared ideas and knowledge. I've been working on my islands - one 12ft kitchen and one 12ft bar table with fire pit. For the bases, I used 20ga 3 5/8 steel from Calply and the bar countertop I used 20ga 2.5inch steel. I'm still working on the framing, but have most of it done. I plan on using Durock all over then then porcelain tile for the counter. The fire pit is 36" long and the parts for that should arrive tomorrow.

Here's the kitchen section that will hold my 6-burner Summit (shelves removed), smokey mountain, and Lion ice bin (not pictured) on the far end right. I will also be using the side burner from the summit (not pictured).
IMG_20160225_135306.jpg

Here's the bar height island so far. The 36" long fire pit will be in the middle of the center section. I doubled up the beams all across the counter using a stud inside the track steel.
IMG_20160309_173318.jpg

I hope to be able to get this completed by Easter.

That looks grand. All that steel is pretty to look at too, and it looks like you are doing a good job. Did that require any welding or cutting? Are you going to fasten the islands to the concrete? If so, how? Projects like this always make me think I need to hire someone to do it for me. Which is why I don't have nice things :) Oh and the (bamboo?) fence looks great.

The project done and came out great. I finished the bases with Dryvit (Mojave finish). This stuff comes in 5 gallon buckets and covers about 120 sq ft. You use a trowel and it give a nice stucco finish. Also, if you are building, get a Pactool Snipper Shear to cut the cement board. Without it, you will lose your mind snapping and scoring or giving yourself cancer by grind cutting it. I was able to get used one for $120 on CL. Best money I spent on this project.
Here are the pics!
http://s911.photobucket.com/user/RemoGaggi2976/BBQ Islands/BBQ Kitchen and Bar/story

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.