Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BBQ Island Kitchen and Bar Table Build

1. Back To Top    #1

BBQ Island Kitchen and Bar Table Build

Thanks to everyone that answered my questions and to everyone on this board that has shared ideas and knowledge. I've been working on my islands - one 12ft kitchen and one 12ft bar table with fire pit. For the bases, I used 20ga 3 5/8 steel from Calply and the bar countertop I used 20ga 2.5inch steel. I'm still working on the framing, but have most of it done. I plan on using Durock all over then then porcelain tile for the counter. The fire pit is 36" long and the parts for that should arrive tomorrow.

Here's the kitchen section that will hold my 6-burner Summit (shelves removed), smokey mountain, and Lion ice bin (not pictured) on the far end right. I will also be using the side burner from the summit (not pictured).
    IMG_20160225_135306.jpg

Here's the bar height island so far. The 36" long fire pit will be in the middle of the center section. I doubled up the beams all across the counter using a stud inside the track steel.
    IMG_20160309_173318.jpg

I hope to be able to get this completed by Easter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BBQ Island Kitchen and Bar Table Build

That looks grand. All that steel is pretty to look at too, and it looks like you are doing a good job. Did that require any welding or cutting? Are you going to fasten the islands to the concrete? If so, how? Projects like this always make me think I need to hire someone to do it for me. Which is why I don't have nice things Oh and the (bamboo?) fence looks great.
    30,000 gal free-form IG w/ spa, PebbleSheen Blue Surf, Pentair cartridge filter, Pentair 3 HP Intelliflo, extra pump that is way over-sized for weeping moss rocks, Dolphin Oasis Z5, municipal water, all built Jan-Feb 2016. TF-100, SpeedStir, Liquidator 3/8", borates. My build thread http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...-in-Cypress-TX

3. Back To Top    #3

The steel came in 8ft and 10ft lengths, so there was a lot of cutting. I used some Wiss brand shears and the cuts weren't bad, just a lot of them. I didn't weld anything. I do plan on attaching it to the concrete soon.

4. Back To Top    #4

Wow! Looking good!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

5. Back To Top    #5

I like it! Keep posting updates.

plat.
    Modern Geometric-ish Social Pool (4'-5'-4') ~13' x 47'. Sun shelf. Perimeter overflow spa. RiverFlow Swimjet. Dog ramp. "Bubble Lounge"
    Link to my patio build, completed 2013
    Link to my pool build, Aug '15 - Sep '16

6. Back To Top    #6

The project done and came out great. I finished the bases with Dryvit (Mojave finish). This stuff comes in 5 gallon buckets and covers about 120 sq ft. You use a trowel and it give a nice stucco finish. Also, if you are building, get a Pactool Snipper Shear to cut the cement board. Without it, you will lose your mind snapping and scoring or giving yourself cancer by grind cutting it. I was able to get used one for $120 on CL. Best money I spent on this project.
    Here are the pics!
    http://s911.photobucket.com/user/Rem...nd%20Bar/story

7. Back To Top    #7

That is nice! Wonderful work.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Looks great! Definitely something to be proud of.
    Inground, vinyl liner, 16 x 32 (approx. 21k gallons), roman end w/ bench, 2 Jandy LED lights
    Pump: Jandy Flopro, 1.5 hp Heater: Raypak, 266k btu (P-R266-A-EN-C; nat gas) Filter: Jandy C340 (cartridge filter) Robot: Doheny's Dolphin Discovery

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks good! We used the Dryvit Ameristone, and sprayed it. Very nice professional finish look.