Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Remodel - Covering Up Swim Lane Tiles?

1. Back To Top    #1

Remodel - Covering Up Swim Lane Tiles?

I love this site, very helpful.

Getting estimates for a remodel (texas, 25 year old inground plaster, 25,000 gal, 120 perimeter) and while the waterline tile will be chipped out and replaced, the bids mention that the swim lane tile, spa & pool steps tile will be covered with plaster and new tiled laid on top.

Is that normal for a remodel? Seems like a recipe for a future problem, how thick is the new plaster coat?

Thanks for any insight.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Remodel - Covering Up Swim Lane Tiles?

Quote Originally Posted by austinsailor
    I love this site, very helpful.

Hey, I feel the same way! Welcome to the forum

Getting estimates for a remodel (texas, 25 year old inground plaster, 25,000 gal, 120 perimeter) and while the waterline tile will be chipped out and replaced, the bids mention that the swim lane tile, spa & pool steps tile will be covered with plaster and new tiled laid on top.
    Wish I had more info, but can only relate our semi-rehab. We had our pool replastered in 3/07. We did not have the waterline tile changed for two reasons: 1. $$$ 2. It is a nice plain blue , which we like!

But, we did have the same tile facing the steps and the love seats. The 'pool man' suggested plastering over them and we agreed. So far, we are very pleased with the outcome. It took a few years off the look of the pool.... just gave it a fresher, newer look. We did NOT have new tile laid over them.

Is that normal for a remodel? Seems like a recipe for a future problem, how thick is the new plaster coat?

Don't know what is 'normal' or how thick the new plaster coat is, but after 2 years, no problems for us.

Good luck with your remodel. We hope you share it with us with lots of pix and conversation

Thanks for any insight.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Remodel - Covering Up Swim Lane Tiles?

I wish the plaster guy from PF was here. I think his name was something like Gutierez Plastering.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html