Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: yikes pool is black

1. Back To Top    #1

yikes pool is black

Hi all,

looking for advice. Going into the weekend pool looked good. Saturday my pool was sparkling after cleaning cartridge filters, sunday pool was in great shape. Put out new black mulch in 2 beds behind pool. pool was balanced all was fine. Tuesday little rain, Wednesday 4 inches rain, figured i would come home today toa murky pool and rebalance and tomorrow all would be fine. Cannot see 2 feet into the pool, It is black!

I suspect so much rain in short amount of time that the water soaked through the mulch and made tea colored water that flowed right into he pool???? is there another possibility?

Here are the results from testing.
    Temp 66
    PH 7.8
    FC 2.0
    TA 50
    CH 400
    CYA 40

Please advice?

thank you,
    Rich
    9500 gallon in-ground w/spa, Quartzscapes Montego Bay, Water leveller
    Hayward Cartridge C3050, Hayward 2HP Tristar 2 SP, Paramount Ultra UV, Clear O3 ozone, ProLogic PS-4,
    Hayward H series 400k, 2 Skimmers, ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED's
    Hayward Super II 1.5HP, 2 waterfalls, and a bubbler on the baja step

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: yikes pool is black

Hmmmm. Your FC needs a boost. I had heard there is a lot of dye in black mulch. Does it look like your beds are missing any? Are there other signs on your decking?

3. Back To Top    #3

Well Rich, you appear to be a non SWG pool, so your FC is indeed low, but that wouldn't account for black. I suspect with all of our recent rain that the stain has bled-over as you suggested. We'll see what others have to say, and if anyone else has had that same experience. But I would increase your FC to 5-6 based on your current CYA and just let the filter do its job. Perhaps by tomorrow it may stat to improve. May take a day or two. If it doesn't improve at all, let us know.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Is this natural mulch that is dyed black, or the black rubber mulch?

If it is the rubber mulch you'll *have* to vacuum that out to waste because it won't degrade otherwise.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

thanks all! Yall always have the answers. Pool is almost back to normal now, after shock, and filter pump on high for 2 days.
    9500 gallon in-ground w/spa, Quartzscapes Montego Bay, Water leveller
    Hayward Cartridge C3050, Hayward 2HP Tristar 2 SP, Paramount Ultra UV, Clear O3 ozone, ProLogic PS-4,
    Hayward H series 400k, 2 Skimmers, ColorLogic Mutlicolor LED's
    Hayward Super II 1.5HP, 2 waterfalls, and a bubbler on the baja step

7. Back To Top    #7

Nice!
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!