Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Could use some Help! WFE-4 Pump Motor Won't Start At All

1. Back To Top    #1

Could use some Help! WFE-4 Pump Motor Won't Start At All

I'm a new member here at the forum. I need some help in trying to troubleshoot why my pump motor won't start up. It's on a mechanical timer and has been working fine on a daily schedule. Last weekend I noticed that the pump was not running when I went outside. Moved in 3 years ago. No idea how old the pump motor is. However, over two years ago, the capacitor on the outside of the housing was replaced under home warranty.

It is WFE-4 Square Flange Motor. The decal says a Pentair Part O-177450-03. Cross Reference tells me its a 71314. The timer works fine and keeps the correct time. I tried the on/off switch that overrides the timer - nothing; no humming or anything. It does not make any noise at all, nor does it try to start.

I can manually turn the shaft located at the back of the motor which leads me to believe that theres no blockage since it easily turns by hand. I tried changing out the same capacitor - nothing; no humming or anything. BTW, is this one located on the hump of the housing the start or run capacitor?

I'm thinking about opening up the back cover but after reading some threads here, I'm curious....For this motor, is there another capacitor inside the back cover? Is there a centrifugal switch inside the back cover? If yes to either one, what do they look like and approximately where would they be located? How can I tell if it's bad and needs replacement or adjustment?

It's been a few days, I need to get this pump motor working soon or replace it entirely?

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Could use some Help! WFE-4 Pump Motor Won't Start At All

Welcome to the forum!

If the capacitor failed, it would hum when turned on. It could be the centrifugal switch if it has one. Sometimes the contacts get corroded. Did you check the voltage to the motor to make sure it isn't anything else?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes I checked the voltage at the terminal of the timer and also the voltage at the terminals of the pump motor. The voltage reading is good ~ 250V which is ~10% of the nameplate voltage.

I'm planning to remove the back cover next and look at the electrical parts inside with the start capacitor and/or switch as my next targets.

Anyone have any thoughts or other suggestions?

4. Back To Top    #4

Opened the back cover. Looks like the motor's dead. There's a small portion of the winding that's burnt black.

Haven't done this before....can this be repaired? Is it worth it to repair? Where can i go online to get a replacement motor? Anyone have any tips on installing the replacement motor?
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Back To Top    #5

I'm very sorry to inform you, but that motor is dead. there is no repairing that.
    25.5K gal vinyl IGP 3.5' - 8' depth. 1.5HP single speed A.O. Smith C48L2N134B1 motor on a Hayward SP2610X15 Pump. 40 ft2 D.E. Filter Hayward model EC75A. Hayward Chlorinator model CL200. single skimmer, 2 Returns. TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir.

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks like the windings shorted. You need a new motor.

But as long as you are shopping for a new motor, you might as well consider a two speed. A B2982 two speed motor will fit your old pump's wet end. You will also need a Whisperflo Go-Kit.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks for the input. Regarding the rec to go two speed motor, what else do i need to operate a two speed motor? Some additional dual speed controller or a replacement timer? All i have installed currently is one of those mechanical timers with the on/off trippers.

8. Back To Top    #8

You can add a second timer for switching between low and high (T106R) or you could use a manual switch. It just depends on how you think you would use it.
    Mark

9. Back To Top    #9

I'd use the two speed motor probably mostly for the benefit of lower wattage for lower electric bill. Maybe not switch between low and high much. What other use/benefit is the plus for the two speed motor?

10. Back To Top    #10

It is all about energy use and energy cost but there is an additional benefit of lower noise on low speed vs high.

But what I meant by how you would use it, some people, like me, run on high for an hour so the skimmers work a bit better and the cleaner can run. Then the controller steps down to low speed for the rest of the run. So if you have a cleaner that requires higher flow rates or you find that low speed just isn't cutting it for skimming, you could do the same. You could also just go with a manual switch to start and then if you find you would like to have automated switching, that could be added later.
    Mark

11. Back To Top    #11

My cleaner could use the higher flow rate, so the two speed sounds good to me since I'm replacing the motor anyway. When you say manual switch, it's an add on I would wire to the two speed motor right? I saw a two speed with a timer switch on top of the housing where the capacitor hump would be. Are those any good designs?

12. Back To Top    #12

I haven't seen a mechanical switch near the capacitor but many places will sell the B2982 with a toggle switch in the back case. However, they do make the B2982 with a timer which is the B2982T.

A.O. Smith Pool Motor Square Flange 1 HP Full Rate Dual Speed w/ Digital Controller - B2982T - INYOPools.com
    Mark

13. Back To Top    #13

Do you know if the B2982 comes standard with the toggle switch in the back which I imagine is for Hi-Lo speed select?

While looking at the link for the B2982T, it says this:

**California’s Title 20 legislation states that pumps > 1HP (total) must be 2-speed or variable speed, and must have a control to default to low-speed (i.e. timer)

I actually would consider the B2892T if its dimensions fit my current setup and space , but does this mean they wont sell me a single speed motor?

14. Back To Top    #14

The b2982t IS a two speed pump AND has a timer so qualifies for CA. So why are you still considering a single speed pump?
    Mark

15. Back To Top    #15

I'm not. Just trying to understand it more. I measured and I'm an inch short to clear the cover in the open position. I wonder if the cover can be removed to clear the space and program the timer after installing.

16. Back To Top    #16

Another option, albeit more expensive, is to get a separate motor and timer (T106).
    Mark

17. Back To Top    #17

I'm going with your recommendation and get the B2982T. In the meantime, any tips on what I can do to keep the water clean and clear?

18. Back To Top    #18

You can actually maintain a pool indefinitely without a pump. It is just a lot more work.

Keep adding chlorine manually and mix it up with a pool brush.

Also don't forget a go kit for the pump.
    Mark

19. Back To Top    #19

ok, thanks! replacement b2982t and go kit coming soon. will post update later...for now, need more chlorine!

20. Back To Top    #20

Just finished installing the B2982T! Quiet dual speed motor. Built-in timer works well!
    No issues whatsoever, other than needed to use a strap wrench to turn the impeller and had to tackle two frozen bolts before I got the old single speed motor off.
    Thanks for the tips mas985!