Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Sundeck, who has it and what are your thoughts?

1. Back To Top    #1

Sundeck, who has it and what are your thoughts?

We did concrete decking but it's a bit slippery, and I think this sundeck would give me the uniform color I want and not be slippery.

thanks!
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)
    TF-100, Doheny Discovery robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Sundeck, who has it and what are your thoughts?

Hey Titan, we have new Sundeck and like it a lot so far.

We've not had it long enough to test out the 'coolness' to the touch on a hot Texas summer but it's gotta be better than concrete. Also like the texture and it is definitely not slippery - well, not overly slippery.
    ~Chris - 20,000 gallons free-form gunite / Pebbletec, Aquapure 1400 SWG, 2 HP Jandy VS Main Pool Pump, 2 HP Jandy Water feature Pump, 580 Jandy cartridge filter, Dolphin M500, TF-100 w/Speedstir.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks, I will check out your build thread. We just had new concrete poured 2 wks ago, have a couple tiny hairline cracks, yeah, we knew this could happen, but I also found the concrete to be a bit more slick that I thought it would be. I am thinking safety and as a side benefits of uniform color, other than grey and the curing hairline cracks will be gone.
    33x19, 3'4"-5'6", 7ft spa, baja reef, 14'x9', 18" deep, 10,668 Gal. Quartzite coping, Stonescape Tropics Blue mini-pebble, abalone & glass beads. Jandy Equip.(JXi heater, 2.7HPVS pump, PLC1400 SWG, CV580 filter, Aqualink, LEDs)

4. Back To Top    #4

We have it and love it.....The surface does not get to hot here in Austin, even when temperature is way over 100 and Dogs have no problem at all walking on it either, even in the heat of the day. I have to power wash it in the spring and fall as it does seem to get dirty. Not slippery at all at my pool.
    43 x 19 Gunite Pool w/ spa and fire pit, 19,000 gallons, Pebble Sheen Aqua Blue finish, Jandy 2 HP VS E-pump, Jandy 580 sq ft Cartridge Filter, Jandy LXI 400k Heater, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, 4 Jandy LED color lights, Aqualink PDA and Iaqualink, Polaris 280 with Booster Pump. Polaris 9550 Robot Cleaner. 1 HP Silencer Air Blower for Spa http://www.troublefreepool.com/threa...NAL-INSPECTION

5. Back To Top    #5

We have it and love it. It's not hot at all in the heat. Would get it again in a heartbeat.
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

6. Back To Top    #6

what's it run cost wise per Sq FT?

7. Back To Top    #7

Oh gosh I don't remember. Lol I'm sorry
    Free form pool 90'3" prim, 14180 gallons. TF100 Kit In pool table with travertine top, 3sheer descents, Depth 3.5-5-4, Jandy 2HP pump, Inline Chlorinator, Wetedge Satin Matrix Antigua.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by Titan7 View Post
    what's it run cost wise per Sq FT?
    I don't know the cost $/sq ft but it wasn't too much of an upgrade for us over the pea gravel aggregate, and was quite a bit cheaper than Travertine. Seeing as how you already have the concrete deck, an overlay shouldn't be too much $$
    2016 Build: 32x8 Gunite, 6,700 gallon IG pool including 6x8 spa and 6x8 tanning ledge w/ 2 bubblers. 32' raised wall with two sheer descent water features. Travertine Coping w/ split faced Travertine on raised wall face. 2HP VS Jandy pump, 400k heater, Rainbow Chlorinator, 4 Colored LED Lights. 459sqft spray deck plus. IAqualink remote, Polarus 9350 Robot Cleaner.

9. Back To Top    #9

Sundeck said something like $5 per SF, they must be joking, you can get concrete poured for $6-8 per SF. I will need to look around, no hurry, I am going to let the new deck continue with it's curing cracks for at least 3-6 months, lol.

10. Back To Top    #10

So, we've considered sundeck but my husband is worried about delamination down the road -- and future imperfections will drive my husband nuts. As a self-proclaimed OCD, is this something you could handle?
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

11. Back To Top    #11

Don't know if you saw my build thread, but I did KoolCote, another popular company in Texas. havent had it long, but we do love the aesthetic of it. Only issue is that it has been getting pretty dirty already.

as to the cost, the coating companies really try to take full advantage of homeowners. They're strategy is to start out witha really high price and see if you'll pay it. The prices they give builders are substantially lower. They gave me the volume discount builder price of $1.85/sq ft, but I don't know how often they do that low. In any case it's highly negotiable and there are multiple companies that do it. Just say you're the builder and you've heard from other subs that it runs under $2 and that that's what you're seeing from the competition. Also, the cost to buy the material yourself on Amazon is something like $1 per sq ft so have that be your baseline. One other thing: one of the best advantages you as a homeowner have over a builder is that you can pay them right away. I wrote a check upfront for mine (reputable company only).

another thing to note: it costs more if it's not new concrete so I'd suggest that you not delay.
    Construction underway.

33x23 freeform 16k gallon IG pool, pebblesheen, SWG in Austin, TX
    Pentair 3HP VS pump, Hayward 30" sand filter
    Build thread: New Austin, TX Owner Build

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    So, we've considered sundeck but my husband is worried about delamination down the road -- and future imperfections will drive my husband nuts. As a self-proclaimed OCD, is this something you could handle?

Helen, this pool/backyard project has just about cured my OCD issues. I am almost to the point that I don't care anymore. We will live with the new concrete deck for a few months of pool use and see how slick it is.

I am sure we will get a few more shrinkage cracks along the way too.

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

We got some shrinkage cracks almost right away but nothing additional in 3 years in MD. Just some minor spalling in one section.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

This is a good tip Titan. I was only looking at KoolDeck. This Sundek coating looks interesting...ive bookmarked their webpage.
    From what you have researched so far, is it applied by another (i.e: specialized) sub - not the concrete/decking sub? Ive got a good decking sub, but he knows nothing about acrylic coatings...just stamped/salted/exposed agg...so if this is another trade, it helps my case.
    thanks.
    O/B Woodland Hills, CA : O/B12x30 inground with 6x6 10-jet spa, 10,500gal, 6' Baja deck, 42" spillway, All Jandy: 400k heater, 2.7 HP VS pump, 1.5HP booster spa pump, SWG, Intellelink controls, (4) LED lights, cartridge filter and BlueSquareQ360 infloor cleaning system, Eclipse drain, glass tiles, Zanzibar white pebble finish. Broke ground 2/18/2016, completed 8/16/2016. TFT 100 kit.

15. Back To Top    #15

Frank,
    the Kooldeck goes on pretty quickly after the concrete is poured. The Sundek product seems to be a more durable coating. I am going to try living with the concrete this summer and then decide on the Sundeck coating.

16. Back To Top    #16

Thought I would bump this up in-case others out there with a spray deck chime in. I found another product by Increte, that seems to be really good. Also appears that it's really hard to find people in CA with this product. To those of you with a spray deck, (acrylic) does it get scratched up with patio chairs etc? Still weighing options here.

thanks!

17. Back To Top    #17

My inlaws have had acrylic spray deck (they call it Kool Deck, but it could be another version) since 1998 or 1999. No noticeable scratches, but they don't move their wrought iron patio furniture around much. The plastic and aluminum chairs haven't left any marks. Its starting to show its age in spots - I think it has faded somewhat over time with a few minor discoloration spots, and in the last few years some cracks and crumbles have become noticeable (at coping/tile line areas or where underlying concrete has cracked). This is in Phoenix with full afternoon sun. It can still feel hot to the touch (splashing water on it or your feet really helps) but it seems significantly cooler than concrete. I wouldn't hestitate to use it.
    Owner Build. 32x16, with 6x8 raised spa. Broke ground April 1, 2016, swimming July 18. Pentair Intelliflo VS + Whisperflo for Water features; Clean & Clear Filter 420; Master Temp Heater 400k BTU; Intellibrite 120V pool and spa lights; Regular ol' plaster.

18. Back To Top    #18

We've had it almost a year with no issues. Hard for me to give a real recommendation with not having it long

19. Back To Top    #19

Thank, how is the stain and scuff resistance?