Spa purge vs massive chlorine shock

Jul 14, 2013
So I am replacing the water in my spa and I read the decontamination procedure referenced in the 'how to use chlorine' sticky where it says to raise the FC to 100 ppm chlorine for 30-45 min before draining. So apparently they are using bleach in place of a product like spa purge.

Has anyone tried this, and had a chance to compare the results with a spa purge product? It seems much much cheaper and takes much less time. Does the 100 ppm shock replace the need for a product like this? My CYA is a little high at 50 ppm so I worry 100 ppm might not be enough to decontaminate everything within an hour.

Also, is it safe for the spa components aka heater, pumps, pipes, walls, pillows etc to be exposed to that level of chlorine? I prefer not to have the marbled texture look of my tub completely bleached white. Also concerned about my cover where the procedure says to cover the tub while circulating.

Are you having issues with hot tub lung/rash/itch? Is there a reason why you are looking for a decontamination protocol?

The 100ppm FC procedure referenced is actually posted on another website that TFP has no control over.

For most hot tubs a simple draining and use of Aah-Some cleans up most "dirty" tubs. Ahh-Some Water Cleanser

Are you having issues with hot tub lung/rash/itch? Is there a reason why you are looking for a decontamination protocol?

The 100ppm FC procedure referenced is actually posted on another website that TFP has no control over.

For most hot tubs a simple draining and use of Aah-Some cleans up most "dirty" tubs. Ahh-Some Water Cleanser

I have high-ish chlorine demand and CC levels, just wondering if using 100 ppm chorine for 30-45 min is enough to replace the need for a product like ahh-some or spa purge when changing water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.