So I am replacing the water in my spa and I read the decontamination procedure referenced in the 'how to use chlorine' sticky where it says to raise the FC to 100 ppm chlorine for 30-45 min before draining. So apparently they are using bleach in place of a product like spa purge.
Has anyone tried this, and had a chance to compare the results with a spa purge product? It seems much much cheaper and takes much less time. Does the 100 ppm shock replace the need for a product like this? My CYA is a little high at 50 ppm so I worry 100 ppm might not be enough to decontaminate everything within an hour.
Also, is it safe for the spa components aka heater, pumps, pipes, walls, pillows etc to be exposed to that level of chlorine? I prefer not to have the marbled texture look of my tub completely bleached white. Also concerned about my cover where the procedure says to cover the tub while circulating.