Liquid Chlorine vs Tablets

Aug 28, 2013
Marin County
I have been using Tablets for the last 2 years, but would like to switch over to liquid Chlorine. I just cleared out a nasty case of mustard Algae, and do not want it back. I am wondering if using liquid chlorine is better in the long run.

1) Not sure how to calculate each dosage
2) Is liquid Bleach from the store OK to use.
3) Is it more cost effective?

Short answer - yes. You will be much better by switching to liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) which is actually regular household bleach. Cheap, easy to find, and easy to apply. We know exactly how much to add based on a "Chlorine/CYA Chart" which illustrates the relationship between Free Chlorine (FC) and stabilizer/Cyanuric Acid (CYA). We also use a "Poolmath Calculator" to help measure what we need. Both links are below in my signature.

Cost effective - sure. Once balanced, you may only need a 1/2 gallon or so of bleach to your water each day (if that) depending upon the size of your pool. Tablets will drive-up your CYA to an unmanageable level resulting ultimately in the required drain or water exchange of pool water. With bleach you won't have that problem.

Please take a look at those pages and let us know if you still have questions.

Extreme, you like I are in California. Tabs mean that your CYA will increase over time and you will ultimately have to drain and refill your pool to get effective sanitation. Right now I'm allowed to water outside vegetation once a week for 10 minutes and have to reduce my water usage to 35% below 2013 levels -- Why would I want to do anything that is going to require me to replace my water?

Read the pool school articles in Texas Splash's signature. Get a good test kit and use pool math (at the top of the page) and you will never meet algae again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.