Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Liquid Chlorine vs Tablets

1. Back To Top    #1

Liquid Chlorine vs Tablets

I have been using Tablets for the last 2 years, but would like to switch over to liquid Chlorine. I just cleared out a nasty case of mustard Algae, and do not want it back. I am wondering if using liquid chlorine is better in the long run.

1) Not sure how to calculate each dosage
    2) Is liquid Bleach from the store OK to use.
    3) Is it more cost effective?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Liquid Chlorine vs Tablets

Short answer - yes. You will be much better by switching to liquid chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) which is actually regular household bleach. Cheap, easy to find, and easy to apply. We know exactly how much to add based on a "Chlorine/CYA Chart" which illustrates the relationship between Free Chlorine (FC) and stabilizer/Cyanuric Acid (CYA). We also use a "Poolmath Calculator" to help measure what we need. Both links are below in my signature.

Cost effective - sure. Once balanced, you may only need a 1/2 gallon or so of bleach to your water each day (if that) depending upon the size of your pool. Tablets will drive-up your CYA to an unmanageable level resulting ultimately in the required drain or water exchange of pool water. With bleach you won't have that problem.

Please take a look at those pages and let us know if you still have questions.
    Pat (a.k.a. Texas Splash) ~ My Pool: Viking Fiberglass; 17,888 Gal; Waterway Supreme 2-sp/2-hp pump; Hayward Ctg filter; TF-100 w/ Speed Stir
    Vital Links: POOL SCHOOL, RECOMMENDED LEVELS, RECOMMENDED CHEMICALS, Poolmath Calculator, SLAM, Chlorine/CYA CHART.
    If you enjoyed your TFP experience, please consider donating to Support TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Sounds like an excellent plan!

More on chlorinating your pool here, Pool School - How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Also, if you would like to add your pool info to your signature it will help us to help you. More here, Pool School - Read This Before You Post
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

Extreme, you like I are in California. Tabs mean that your CYA will increase over time and you will ultimately have to drain and refill your pool to get effective sanitation. Right now I'm allowed to water outside vegetation once a week for 10 minutes and have to reduce my water usage to 35% below 2013 levels -- Why would I want to do anything that is going to require me to replace my water?

Read the pool school articles in Texas Splash's signature. Get a good test kit and use pool math (at the top of the page) and you will never meet algae again.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks for the replies. Below is my pool specs in my signature.
    My pool: 18x32 White Plaster 13,000 Gal w/ Pentair Intelliflo 2 VST, 3/4hp Pentair Booster Pump for Pentair Legend Pool Cleaner, Sta-Rite 300 Mod Media S7M120 Filter, Heliocol Solar Panels, Pentair Solar Touch Controller, Poolmaster 22260 5-Way Test Kit.