Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool Auto Leveler

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool Auto Leveler

Newbie here. I had to drain my pool's water and refill. Once it got about a foot or so before the desired level, I turned off the hose and turned on the auto fill. I didn't catch the issue until my pool was overfilled--almost to the top. I turned off the auto leveler and dumped the water back to midway on my tile and have been concentrating on my pool chemicals. Now, I'd like to turn back on the auto leveler as it gets warmer outside here in Scottsdale Arizona but I don't trust it. I'll attach a picture, it's not as gross as the pic looks. It's been 8 years and never changed or adjusted. Should I change it out or is it a simple setting? How do I adjust the setting as my water level is about perfect right now?

Recommendations would be great as I don't know much about pool maintenance and am learning daily. Also, how do I know if it's a 3/8 or 1/2? If I replace, assuming brass is the way to go? Any suggestions on where to buy (Amazon)? Direct Links? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16,000 gal Pebble Sheen pool w/ spa, Jandy Aqualink, Hayward Salt system, 60 SF DE Filter, Hayward Gas Heater, Caretaker In-floor pop-up cleaning system.
    2hp Whisperflow for filter, 2hp Dynaglass for booster, 2hp for blower, 1hp Dynaglass for scuppers.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Pool Auto Leveler

I am not a fan of auto-levelers. They seem terrific but can mask a leak, malfunction, etc. I know that doesn't help your selection process but I really think manual attention to water level is a good thing to help you manage your pool a little better.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

That's a good point. Are there any good guides that cover evaporation (such as in Arizona--a lot of water has to evaporate) and how to determine whether the water level is going down because of a leak or evaporation? I still want to fix this auto leveler, but I do think it would be good to turn it off periodically for the reason you pointed out. Thanks!
    16,000 gal Pebble Sheen pool w/ spa, Jandy Aqualink, Hayward Salt system, 60 SF DE Filter, Hayward Gas Heater, Caretaker In-floor pop-up cleaning system.
    2hp Whisperflow for filter, 2hp Dynaglass for booster, 2hp for blower, 1hp Dynaglass for scuppers.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

overall, TFP thinks 1/4 inch daily loss is a decent average throughout most of the US.........except of course where you live!!!!

You'll have to become a good judge of that if you take the leveler off.....I would say 3/8 maybe even 1/2 inch wouldn't be alarming but I have no experience.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jeremysm1 View Post
    That's a good point. Are there any good guides that cover evaporation (such as in Arizona--a lot of water has to evaporate) and how to determine whether the water level is going down because of a leak or evaporation? I still want to fix this auto leveler, but I do think it would be good to turn it off periodically for the reason you pointed out. Thanks!
    As you found out, if an auto leveler fails, then the pool level should rise until it overflows which is pretty obvious so I see no need to "test" it. The only caveat is that if you have an overflow too, then that would be an issue and you should never have both "active" at the same time, nor should you need to really (rainy vs dry season).

If the valve didn't shut off on it's own then it likely has an issue that would probably be difficult to repair. However, you can find fairly inexpensive fill valves on eBay and Amazon. I prefer the all plastic valves because they don't corrode like the metal.

This is what I have: Swimming Pool Pond Spa Water Leveler Replacement MP Auto Fill Float Valve 3 8 | eBay
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

TFP Guide

I think I have the same auto fill as you. I went to my local hardware store and they had the exact same valve. It is the same one that is used in evaporative (swamp) coolers. Others may not be a fan of auto fill devices, but with the evaporatin rates here in the desert you would spend a lot of time filling with a hose.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I am a fan of my autofill, takes the day to day maintenance out of it. We did have a leak a couple of years ago and it was very easy to tell on the next water bill!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks everyone!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by pooldv View Post
    I am a fan of my autofill, takes the day to day maintenance out of it. We did have a leak a couple of years ago and it was very easy to tell on the next water bill!

agree with pooldv. it eliminates the day to day hassle of filling pool.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh View Post
    I am not a fan of auto-levelers. They seem terrific but can mask a leak, malfunction, etc.
    In my pool, I have both auto-fill and overflow drain. However, my PB set it up so that the overflow level is slightly higher than my auto-fill level. My PB told me this was intentional--I would be able to see if auto-fill was not working correctly. By looking at my pool, I can tell if the water level is a bit high: If it's recently rained, I don't worry; if it's been dry, then I need to take a look at the toilet valve. So far, I've not had any problems.
    23' x 37' IG 18.5k gallon SWG w/ raised spa, Build Thread -->Here
    Wet Edge® Pearl Matrix®, Hayward® SwimClear™ 525 ft², Hayward® Goldline Controls® PS-8
    4x Hayward® TriStar™ pumps, Paramount PCC2000® ICS, TF-100 w/Speedstir

11. Back To Top    #11

Same for me, my water level is about 1/2" or so below the overflow grate.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

12. Back To Top    #12

If you wanted to determine fairly precisely what your average daily evaporation is, you could fill a 5 gallon bucket and set it on steps. Use a sharpie pen and mark the water level on the side of the bucket, then see how much the level drops in a day, or 2, or however long you wanted to leave the bucket there.
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

13. Back To Top    #13

In AZ, during the hot months of the summer, a pool can easily lose 1/2" of water per day. Average annual pan evaporation data for cities in the Phoenix area can range anywhere from 75" to 95" of water (yes, you can evaporate an entire pool's worth of water here!!). So an auto-fill is essential to keeping a pool filled.

One very good reason why they are useful is that if you fill by hand, you won't be very precise or regular about it. The constant level change in the water will cause a thick white calcium band to develop on the tile line from the constant level change and evaporation of water. Auto-fills keep a pool's water level fairly constant.

If you're worried about a leak, you can buy a standard water flow rate gauge (the kind that are used on residential water meters) and cut it into the pipe that feeds your auto fill. You can get a daily read on your water usage and learn your pools consumption rate. If you keep good notes, you'll be able to tell if you have a leak. Dial water meters (they come in plastic or brass) retail for about $60-$100.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates