Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Deck size?

1. Back To Top    #1

Deck size?

We're finally getting ready to build a deck for our radiant pool. Right now, we're considering 15' out from the pool and 18' wide. Considering the pool will eat into the deck, it will probably end up being 10' at the narrowest point. We're not planning on putting a table or using it to host huge parties. That's what the patio by the house is for. We want easy entry into the pool and a few chairs on the deck. Some day I'd like a patio between the pool and the fence. The deck would be on the right side of the pool in the picture that is looking into the woods behind our house. Thoughts? .

24' Radiant metric semi-inground, Hayward S180T92S, 8/2015 install, TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck size?

I was in the same situation as you. Somebody told me to go as big as you possibly could afford. I listened, and decided to go all the way around. Best decision ever. Makes putting the cover on super easy, cleaning the pool is a breeze, vacuuming is easy, i never have to reach far, i can just walk around. I'd highly consider it. You have the room. You wont regret it.

I found some pics of mine i posted last year...

New Deck Build. Figured I'd post some pics....
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

3. Back To Top    #3

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^ At least go all the around with it being as wide as you want to start with. Make room for toy storage somewhere. NO one has ever said they wished they went smaller on a pool or deck LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I'm also happy that we put the deck all away around the pool. It is only 4 ft wide, but gives us enough room for beach chairs and a toys. We have a large lower level deck that butts up to the pool for tables, etc.
    30 ft. round Conquest agp, 19,800 gal; Pentair Easy Clean 1 hp DE EC60 filter system
    Hayward H250N gas heater; TF100 Test Kit
    2 Fafco 4x20 sunsaver solar bear solar panels
    Dolphin E 10 ~ Zoomerang slide
    Majestic 8000 Above-Ground Pool Step

5. Back To Top    #5

I made my deck 3' wide on 3 sides of the pool and 12' on the long side. Dont regret it for one minute. Plenty of room for a table, umbrella, couple lounge chairs, basketball hoop, deck box, couple chairs, small table for radio, etc. You wont regret it....And in all honesty, its not that much more expensive to go all the way around.
    24'x54" 15k AG round - Outback Genesis
    1 1/2hp Hayward Matrix 2 speed. Hayward 180T Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    Pool School & TF-100
    How to SLAM

6. Back To Top    #6

Kris, your deck is huge! It looks like a lot of fun!

We can't go all the way around because of the town requirements. We had to get a variance to move it as close to the back property line as it is because moving it forward would have disrupted the property drainage. It's right on the edge of where we can build on the side.

Storage is a problem. We found that out last year.

7. Back To Top    #7

Hello,
    Looks like I'm going against the grain here but we didn't go around the pool and are glad we didn't. For us, going around the pool would have been a lot more work and a bit more expensive. It would have also blocked our view off the pool deck and made accessing the pool pad harder. I still created a side area for toy storage and such and the pools in use, kids use to jump into the deep end (feet first of course). It looks like you patio is relatively close to the pool, would putting a deck around the entire pool separate these two areas? Without the deck on the patio side, you may be able to sit on the patio, which looks to be shaded and still watch over the pool. Also, these two areas may be better able to interact when your entertaining. It's all about preference and how you plan to use the space. Here a picture of my setup I took this morning...

IMG_0362.jpg
    2013 21,500 Gal. 28' Round AB Doughboy
    DE Filter, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    Solar & Rheem 400k heat

8. Back To Top    #8

Frank, you deck and view are amazing! I wouldn't want to obstruct that view with a railing. To make the best use of the lumber, we're going to go with 16'x20'. I'll have to get creative with the toy storage.

9. Back To Top    #9

Some building codes require a railing for over a 20" deck height, hence probably the case here. Maybe not, but most likely. Your right about the view being obstructed, but sometimes you have little choice.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kCougar View Post
    Frank, you deck and view are amazing! I wouldn't want to obstruct that view with a railing. To make the best use of the lumber, we're going to go with 16'x20'. I'll have to get creative with the toy storage.
    Ultra 16', Intex Sand filter/pump combo, 8' x 20' solar panels, solar blanket w/roll tube, 1" extruded foam floor with Gorilla pad, Liquid chlorine and stabilizer.

10. Back To Top    #10

If you check out the link in my signature, i have some pictures of the deck. I made mine two levels to avoid extra excavation. Turned out really well, and the kids love jumping off the upper side.

Last edited by yostmatt; 03-17-2016 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Added pictures
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks 2kCougar. I think you'll like the larger deck. We didn't entertain a lot before adding the pool but once it was in, friends and family were over often. Having that space turned out to be a wise choice for us. Just make sure to leave some $$$ for a Margaritaville machine. Nothing like an ice cold Margarita by your pool on a hot summer day!
    2013 21,500 Gal. 28' Round AB Doughboy
    DE Filter, Taylor K-2006 Test Kit
    Solar & Rheem 400k heat

12. Back To Top    #12

Matt,
    Thanks for the ideas! We're going to be getting the same steps that you have. Our supplier recommended the camo marksman tool as well.

Frank,
    I knew there was something I left out of the budget... the margarita maker! Love it! I've already picked up some silicone wine glasses but I've neglected the mixed drinks.

13. Back To Top    #13

The camo tool is amazing. Takes a little longer, but well worth it. The steps have been a big hit, everyone loves them. I will tell you this, our local shop was selling them for 500, however I found them online for 350. So YMMV.

Also on the Marksman tool. Be sure to use the smallest spacer. My treated wood really shrunk up a good bit.
    ~Matt~ Radiant Metric 24'x52" 14k- built into a slope. CircuPool Si-30 SWCG. Jandy 200 SqFt cartridge filter. Pentair Optiflow 2-speed 1HP pump. Wanda the Whale. TF-100 Test Kit. Hard Plumbed.
    My Build w/ lots of pics

14. Back To Top    #14

Matt,
    Thanks for the tip on the tool. We're doing PVC decking so I won't have to worry about it shrinking.

Do you like the add-on portion of your step? Does it take up a lot of room. We have the same pool, 24' radiant. I didn't think I'd like it at first, but looking at your first picture, it looks like the steps would be a great place for little kids to sit.

15. Back To Top    #15

yea, they fit very nicely. They are actually curved in the back to fit the curve of the pool wall. There is plenty of room for someone to sit on them while people are getting in and out of the pool. Here is another picture.

My Build w/ lots of pics

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

I have the same steps, but without the added side. It made it a lot easier for the larger members of the family to get in and out.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

17. Back To Top    #17

Thanks, Matt. Every time I see them, I love them more! I can't wait to use them!

18. Back To Top    #18

Nice job. Would you please tell me how you plan to secure the winter cover? I'm in process of building my deck and wonder how to deal with the cover and skimmer access. I found some ideas, like collapsible round anchors (brass/SS), but they're expensive, around $10.00 ec. as far as the skimmer goes, what do you think of making a removable cover, like 2' x 2' of the same decking boards? Any suggestions and ideas will be appreciated. Thanks!
    18'X33'X52" Aqua Leader. Hayward Perflex EC50 Filter System With 1.5 HP Pump.