First spring ever with algae growth in pool

jeremeyi

Jul 17, 2008
I have an 20 foot round above ground pool (easy set frame type ) that I leave up all winter long here in zone 5. I have been doing this for five years now (first several years I took it down for the winter), I don't cover it for the winter for fear that the weight of the snow and ice might bring down the walls (not as strong as a "real" above ground pool). I close it once the water drops below 60 degrees or so and open it at the same temperature, thinking algae growth stops at those temps. I have not had a problem with this until this year. This year the water was green even before the ice had completely melted! Water temps are about 50ish and it is almost a green soupy mess!!! I think I am going to end up opening the pool and it is only March! I am not really worried about shocking and cleaning up the algae, my question is why the heck did this happen with water temps so low?

Started turning green before the ice melted? WOW! I have to ask..........how did the water look before you closed? (I am willing to bet you say clear and all levels balanced but I have to ask)

Run a full set to tests and share them here so we can see what is going on.

Kim

The only things that come to my mind are that this was an incredibly mild winter for many. Your size pool will also warm-up a bit quicker. Perhaps your water temps creeped-up quicker than you thought. A lot would also depend on what you did to prepare for closing, and did you use Polyquat 60. While all of those things (plus the lower temps) don't kill algae, they are designed to help slow it's growth considerably, but put all of that together and perhaps it was just a ticking time bomb.

Regardless, it sounds like you know what to do now. I suspect you'll have it clear in good order. Good luck!

Now that you mention it, I did not use Polyquat 60 the past two years, thought I could get away without it. It has been a pretty mild winter, maybe the outside edges of the pool got warmed up enough to get growth going. I think I am going to bring the water level up, hook up the pump and filter than shock and get it cleared up and than cover it and shut it back down, making opening a two stage process this year.

Just an update, started slamming the pool 2 days ago, here is an image of the pool beforeIMG_20160310_164309.jpg

And here it is 24 hours later
IMG_20160311_070101.jpg

It is a lot cloudier after that last image because I vacuumed the bottom and brushed the walls, but over all seems to be coming along well.

before slamming

FC=0
CYA=0 (why is my cya always 0 in the spring???)
PH=7.4

right now I am holding FC at 12 or a little higher.

Just thought you guys might want an update, and pics ; )

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.