Cartridge vs. sand filter

I am considering switching from our large Jandy pool cartridge to a sand filter. I live in South Carolina and between algae, pollen, volume of swimmers, debris, etc. I feel like I clean the filter all the time. It is heavy, I have trouble getting the unit open to remove the cartridge, uses a lot of water to clean the filter, and is a general pain. A new sand unit has been quoted at around $800 which includes install. A filter costs about $150 and usually must be replaced yearly. Thoughts????

Welcome to the forum.

I like sand for ease of use and maintenance. I also live in a dusty area, and wouldn't choose cart filters here for sure. Sand is a nice option and I'd suggest it to anyone. Price it around some and see what you get. Finally, no matter your choice, no filter will reduce Algae problems.

Hi and welcome to TFP! I see Patrick got you started. :) Here's a TFP page on that very subject: Pool School - Pool Filter Comparison.
In short, I suspect you will find die-hard fans either way, to include DE filters. Each system has its pros and cons. I have a single Hayward cartridge filter (My pool link below) and I order my cartridge from Amazon at half the price of the pool store. But once your water is maintained via TFP methods, and there is nothing but clear water with typical debris and bugs, etc, the cartridge just looks grey (dirty) - easy to clean. Regardless of the filter type, many of us also use a skimmer sock (old nylon or paint strainer net) inside the pool-side skimmer to help catch most of the surface debris.

Sand filters are certainly great - most notably less cleaning (backwashing) if the pool is maintained properly. If you're in an area that has strict water waste issues, that may be a concern. But many sand and DE owners do just fine. Periodic cleaning of the internal parts of the filter(s) is a bit more complicated when it needs to be done, but certainly within DIY capability.

There are also tons of videos on-line such as this one Pool Filter Comparison, Filter Types - YouTube that you can watch to better understand. In the end though, all 3 types can do an excellent job filtering a pool that is properly balanced. Take a peek at those links and be prepared for many personal opinions about owners and their own experience. That's what TFP is all about. If you're sure you want to go the sand route, we can certainly help give you ideas for what to shop for. Nice to have you with us. :wave:

I LOVE my sand filter! I had a cartridge filter with my last pool and really love my sand on after that BUT I did NOT know how to care for a pool so that alone made it a lot harder :(

Saying that I hope you stick around and start reading some posts and think about ordering a good test kit. A good test kit will make your pool care SO much easier and cheaper. If you are interested you can look in my siggy for the test kit we use and love.

Kim

No matter what your filter is way way undersized. We strongly recommend getting a much larger filter than recommended for your pool.

Why? You clean it less often and your system operates at a lower pressure most of the time.

I clean my cartridge filter twice a year. The cartridges should last, with proper care for 5 years, maybe more.

If I were you I would get a Jandy CL 460. Yea it costs more -- but your water will remain clearer than with a sand filter (many people can't tell the difference), you will clean it twice a year, you will use less water and with proper care it will last years.

Even if you get a sand filter you need to get one larger than the pool store recommends. Twice the size is best. You will clean it less often and that means less water. It will operate at a lower pressure.

Larger filters are a major step towards a trouble free pool -- maybe I should register that as a trademark?

I realize that about the algae. I never had problems until last summer and now I can't get rid of it. I think I am going to have to remove and replace some water this spring. We have also been plagued with flooding and above average temps which has not helped this winter.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the welcome. I have been lurking on this board for awhile now, but have not posted until now.
-Mandy

We're happy to see you post Mandy. I hope you never feel intimidated to do so or ask a question. We all started with pools somewhere. They can be frustrating until you "crack the code", and I can tell you from my own experience of rinsing-out a puke-green filter 2x per day my first season, that once you follow the TFP "ABCs of Water Chemistry", and just read a few of those pages, it will be extremely rare that you have algae again.

If you feel that you need assistance with any of those pages or links you see in our signatures, please ask. That's what we're all doing here. Keeps us off of Facebook. :)

I have lots of trees that drop lots of stuff in our pool and had to do a fair amount of cartridge cleaning. I changed over to Pleatco filter cartridges and they work quite a bit better than the original Pentair cartridges. They clog less, are easier to clean and have better flow longer. And they are cheaper. I agree that your cartridges should last several years at least. If I ever get a new filter it will be sand.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.