Must purchase new vac for fiberglass pool- Suggestions Pls.

May 1, 2012
NC USA
We have a fairly small pool so it doesn't take too much to clean it however using the standard pole and this sort of vacuum head isn't cutting it anymore. http://cdn.lesliespool.com/wimages/product_image/lpm-20883-009.jpg?300x300 My teenagers swimming around the bottom with the hose seems to be the best way to clean any sand and debris. :eek:

I'd like to purchase an automatic suction type vacuum that I can let do it's thing without babysitting but not anything too expensive either. I can plug into my skimmer fairly easily, I believe.

I was reading about a Kreepy Krauly (model 42) but I'm not sure how that will work on my stairs where the water returns are and the water depth is shallow as it seems to be a "tall" sort of design. Thoughts?

I've also read about "the pool cleaner" vacuum(more expensive) but it sounds like it could have trouble running on the fiberglass. I see they sell another set of tires but at an additional cost so then the vacuum becomes unreasonable.

I'm not set on either of those vacuums or brands, just really would love to hear what works for others on fiberglass and seem to be spinning my wheels.

Thank you! :)

I have a fiberglass pool also and use the Dolphin Nautilus and love it. It is self-contained (just throw it in and plug it in). The problem is I don't exactly know what your budget is. I bought a Nautilus for around $600 and it is worth every penny. It cleans the bottom stairs and up to the toe ledge pretty much all the way around. There are certainly cheaper models that only do the floors but I researched for months and finally decided on the Dolphin.

I hear(read) good things about a few other models on here (do a search). But without adding an extra pump for a suction side cleaner, you are somewhat stuck with a self-contained robot, unless you want to hook into the skimmer, which is not an option for me. Hope this helps

I had a Kreepy krauly (not sure the model). Decent enough about half the time, but the smallest stick or leaf could stop it.

Moppy, are you near Charlotte? If so you are welcome to borrow mine and try it out and see how it fairs. Our shallow end never got cleaned as the tube didn't quite reach...

I am looking long and hard at a Poolvergnuegen or the POlaris 360(Our pool has a pressure line for installed for this).
Let us know what you get and how well it works !

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.