Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re: Want suppliers of reflective opaque floating pool cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Re: Want suppliers of reflective opaque floating pool cover

Ed - If you have located a supplier, please post. I have looked for several years, after having a silver reflective one about 7 years ago, which is no longer offered. It did work. I would keep my pool covered during the sunny day in Texas, and remove it at night and run my chiller. It was super effective. There is no apparent reason that no one in the USA sells one, as I know we have a hotter climate than England.

Thanks from Ed;
    Nowata, CA (AKA San Jose)[/QUOTE]

2. Back To Top    #2

My PB supplied me with one year before last. Hard to imagine they just quit making them.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:
    ABC's Of Pool Chemistry, Test Kits, SLAM Your Pool
    28K Gal IG FreeForm, CLI Quartz, Pentair 36"SF & VS Pump, Dolphin M5, Rheem

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

4. Back To Top    #4

That's a winter cover. It's not useful for daily pool covering.

I too have been on the hunt for an opaque bubble cover that is either white or silvered (probably aluminized would be the better term) in the SMOOTH SIDE. The bubble side can be clear or blue. The purpose of being reflective in the air side of the cover is to reflect heat without being in contact with the water so as to avoid or minimize conductive heat transfer. I can find ones that are black or silvered in the bubble side (water side) but that's not what I want.

Also, looking for 8 mil thick.

So far, zippo on the retail search.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

I really wish I could find one that would make my pool too hot.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick_B View Post
    I really wish I could find one that would make my pool too hot.
    Was that a typo or did you actually mean to say you wanted the cover to make your pool hot?

If that's the case, wouldn't a standard clear bubble cover do that for you?

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

7. Back To Top    #7

No typo...the problem I have is too much shade. Combined with the amount of wind we have here, it's a struggle to stay as warm as we like, even in summer. I'm too lazy to fight a cover for daily use anyway, and then there's the storage when not in use issue. So, we just live with the lower temps, or burn the heater when we feel frivolous.
    TFP Moderator
    Essential Links:

8. Back To Top    #8

Gotcha.

I've got full sun from 8am to 5pm so I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get an 8mil blue cover. Then I'll get some DWV piping and try out Mark's DIY solar roller. I've got a freeform pool so I think I might need to cut the cover into three sections. It'll be lots of work everyday to get the cover on and off, but I need to get serious about evaporation control. $200+ water bills in the summer is no fun.

Matt

9. Back To Top    #9

Any update on a source for reflective covers?
    Look like this would do, but only available overseas : CoolGuard swimming pool cover material
    18,000 gal, IG kidney w/ spa, Pebbletech, 60 DE filter, 2 skimmers, auto chlorinator, 2.0 hp pump, Dolphin M400

10. Back To Top    #10

TFP Guide

Quality Solar Pool Covers

US partner for the CoolGuard covers. A bit pricey though.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by proavia View Post
    Quality Solar Pool Covers

US partner for the CoolGuard covers. A bit pricey though.
    Awesome find, don't know why my search engine couldn't find it! You're right ... $450 is hard to accept when others are $150!
    18,000 gal, IG kidney w/ spa, Pebbletech, 60 DE filter, 2 skimmers, auto chlorinator, 2.0 hp pump, Dolphin M400

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

I use a Mid West Canvas Space Age Solar Blanket and love it. Does a great job of keeping the pool warm, day or night.

Dom
    Dom - TFP Guide
    Intex 18' X 48" Ultra Frame AGP 6700 gallons | Two Intex CS8110 SWG's | Hayward Pro Series 21" Sandfilter | Hayward 1.5HP Power Flo Matrix pump | Hayward Thru-wall Skimmer | Wanda the Whale | 72 sq ft of Sungrabber Solar Panels with Hayward GLC-2P-A | Taylor K2006 Test Kit, Sample Sizer & Speed Stir | Click Here To Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by domct203 View Post
    I use a Mid West Canvas Space Age Solar Blanket and love it. Does a great job of keeping the pool warm, day or night.

Dom
    Thanks Dom, however I'm looking for the opposite use, keeping the pool cool in summer and opaque to reduce algae growth.

14. Back To Top    #14

TFP Guide

Quote Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
    Awesome find, don't know why my search engine couldn't find it! You're right ... $450 is hard to accept when others are $150!
    I just got lucky while skimming through pages in the link you provided.
    Gene
    ​12,300 gal IG play pool - Pebbletec - built 10/1999 || Hayward S360SX 36" sand filter || Hayward Ecostar SP3400 VSP || A&A In-Floor cleaning system || Quik Water Leveler || Quik Dek-clor (limited use)
    TF-100 testkit / Speedstir - A good test kit is not an expense, it's an investment