Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do you leave your waterfall on when running pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do you leave your waterfall on when running pump?

Does it make sense to keep the waterfall on every time the pump is running to clean the pool (8 hours a day) or do you only use it when you're using the pool/in the backyard?
    Fiberglass pool 5300 gallons (trilogy eclipse)
    inground
    Cartridge filter
    2HP hayward ecostar sp3400vsp

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Do you leave your waterfall on when running pump?

Meaty,

Constant use of a waterfall will most likely drive your pH up pretty quickly. For me, I usually only fire up the waterfall when the "ambiance" is important. Most of the time the waterfall is turned off. Although, I do have it scheduled to come on everyday for about 10 minutes just to make sure the water in the pipes stays chlorinated.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    Finished in 2015 - 17K Gal, IG, 20' x 25' Almost Rectangular Pool, Pebble finish, three rockport water falls. Pentair Equipment: EasyTouch 4, IC40 SWG, 3 HP VS Pump, CCP520 Cartridge Filter.
    TF100 with SpeedStir and SampleSizer, ColorQ Pro 7, Dolphin Premier Robot Cleaner, added Screen Logic 2, added small 3 person Calder Spa.

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Jimrahbe View Post
    Meaty,

Constant use of a waterfall will most likely drive your pH up pretty quickly. For me, I usually only fire up the waterfall when the "ambiance" is important. Most of the time the waterfall is turned off. Although, I do have it scheduled to come on everyday for about 10 minutes just to make sure the water in the pipes stays chlorinated.

Thanks,

Jim R.
    thanks. That was my concern
    Fiberglass pool 5300 gallons (trilogy eclipse)
    inground
    Cartridge filter
    2HP hayward ecostar sp3400vsp

4. Back To Top    #4

My waterfall has basins in it (four basins that hold anywhere from 2 to 4 gallons each). I have to run my waterfall about three times per day for about 20mins each time. This keeps the water in the basins chlorinated. In the winter, I "close" the waterfall by shutting down and draining the pump as well as suctioning the supply line dry. I do that because the waterfall pump will run with the freeze protection circuit and it's a huge 3HP WhisperFlo that uses A LOT of electricity.

Matt
    16k IG PebbleTec pool, 650gal spa, spillway and waterfall, 3HP IntelliFlo VS / 1.5HP WhisperFlo, Pentair QuadDE-100 filter, IC40 SWCG, MasterTemp 400k BTU/hr NG heater, KreepyKrauly suction-side cleaner Dolphin S300i robot, EasyTouch controls, city water, K-1001, K-2006 and K-1766 test kits, Mannitol test for borates

5. Back To Top    #5

5 minutes every other day on a set schedule, and then only when we have friends over.
    Pool done!! (backyard = work in progress) 32' x 19' inground freeform with 7' spa, baja step w/ (2) bubblers, stonescapes mini pebble finish, rock waterfall feature, 12" raised bond beam, Intelliflo VS, Whisperflo feature pump, (3) 5G Color LED's, FNS + DE 60, 400K Master Temp, Easytouch 8 w/ remote, Intellichlor IC40, Vision Classic Ceramic Kamado smoker, Margaritaville DM1000!!! Party Coming Soon!!
    TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir