Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tannins Tannins Everywhere!

1. Back To Top    #1
    Sioux City, IA

Tannins Tannins Everywhere!

Greetings all! I hope everyone had a great off-season.

We had a auto cover installed last year, but used the mesh cover for this past winter because the liner was diagnosed with multiple holes. I didn't want to risk having the water level drop and subject our new $10K cover to snow weight. Anywho... the mesh cover was installed a few weeks after the pool was closed and in that time accumulated quite a lot of black walnut leaves. I wasn't concerned about it at the time because we were planning on installing a new liner for the upcoming season. I noticed there wasn't hardly any water loss over the fall/winter/early spring so I'm going to attempt to use the old liner for one more season. The problem I have is tannins. The pool water resembles a 40,000gal cup of coffee. Besides vacuuming the leaves, what's the best way to clear tannins left in the water from the leaves? Thanks all!
    "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." -B. Franklin

In-ground, vinyl lined, 20'x40', 3-10' deep, solar heater, sand filter, 3/4hp pump, Dolphin Pro, Cover Star Auto Cover.

A proud BBB convert.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL

Re: Tannins Tannins Everywhere!

Bleach. Lots of Bleach. After you do the normal shock process, and the FC is holding overnight, you'll probably want to run with a higher level of FC say 2ppm over your normal level for a while, and in time any residual stains on the liner should fade as well, if any.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner