Pump won"t prime

Scot61

Mar 8, 2016
Wilmington/NC
Hi guys,

Just moved into a rental home with a pool (30' x 12'). The pump is a CK2456J-150. The pool people came by and got everything going. The filter basket got filled up with worms and stuff (the house was sitting empty for a long time) and so my good wife turned it off to clean the basket. Now we cannot seem to be able to prime the pump again. The pool guy (we called him) said to fill the reservoir as full as it will go, close the cap and put the filter on recirculate. Start the pump on hi speed (low being the alternative) and it should take (and l quote) "a couple of minutes to prime). We have been out there since 4pm this afternoon and cannot get it primed. If there is something we are missing here then please let us know. BTW, there is a "Y" feed off the back of the reservoir going to two pipes, one labeled MAIN the other labeled SKIM. I am a complete newbie to all this so any help would be very much appreciated. :(

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: A few things to consider:
- Make sure any valves that were closed when shutting-off the pump to clean everything were re-opened. If not, water can't get back in. I've done that before. :brickwall:
- Ensure pool water level is still good (mid-way up skimmer opening) and nothing blocking that entrance
- Yes, fill the pump strainer gasket with water, quickly close the lid, and try to prime for a couple minutes. If it doesn't work, repeat. You might even give it a few minutes rest in between attempts. That worked for me once.
- When you replaced that strainer basket lid, ensure the O-ring was not damaged or crimped; rubber should be lubed with pool lube for good seal.

Keep us posted!

I have had the same problems and this is what I do:

1. Fill the pump with water while the intake valves are open. I use a bucket and try to keep the water level at the top of the rim so it starts filling the intake pipes.

2. I quickly close both intake valves (skimmer and drain ) while the water is at the top of the pump rim. This will keep the water in the pump at that level. I then screw on the lid.

3. I only open the skimmer valve and quickly start the pump. Once the water is flowing well, I open the drain valve.

This method I use keeps water in the intake lines so the pump isn't pulling mostly air, and by only opening the skimmer valve only at first the pump can use all of its strength on one line instead of being handicapped by two before it's fully primed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.