I am in the midst of building my own pool (I will get it posted shortly.....) and went with 8.5' deep end and 4' shallow. My reasoning was that I want a diving board and all my kids are great swimmers. If you have small kids, then they will get older some day and will be looking for things to jump off and use to dive into your pool (weather you want them to or not). I have 2 friends that recently put pools in that regret not going deeper.

I am in the midst of building my own pool (I will get it posted shortly.....) and went with 8.5' deep end and 4' shallow. My reasoning was that I want a diving board and all my kids are great swimmers. If you have small kids, then they will get older some day and will be looking for things to jump off and use to dive into your pool (weather you want them to or not). I have 2 friends that recently put pools in that regret not going deeper.

We know we're okay with skipping the deep end. My husband was captain of the varsity swim team two years running in high school, coached and life guarded all through college. My parents put in a pool when I was a teenager. We both had strict rules against unsafe jumping and we listened. We figure the kids may eventually get bored of the pool but we will not. We're building more for us than them. Our teenagers are more the laying out for a tan type than diving off roof tops anyway. Lol

I'm most worried about going with 3'6" or 4' with my short height. I think I may like the idea of splitting the difference and going with a 3'9" depth. Will look into that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing to consider that no one has mentioned is that sport pools (being shallower) tend to warm up faster. That's great if you live in Boston, but in the deep south it may feel a bit swampish in to the late summer.

Yeah, I thought of that. We're going with a darker plaster too so that won't help. I get cold easily though so I'll be fine. My husband may be dumping in bags of ice though. [emoji23] Maybe we should look into a chiller.

We like our pool warm so it's never a problem. But if I do want to cool my pool I can always run my solar panels at night to cool the water. Of course not everyone lives in the desert where it cools off at night.

One note of caution, when we built our pool I was careful to have written in the plans the depth as "feet of water." In other words, we wrote that the shallow end was to have 3 1/2 feet of water. Different PBs we talked to said that was good to specify since some measure from the bottom to the top of the pool, ie ground level, even though the actual water line is about 3" below the top of the pool. So you might want a very specific hight of the water, to hit you at a certain place, and the PB may be measuring something else. Just make sure it is clear between all parties before they dig, etc.

BTW, I am 5' and also wanted a shallow end for exercize, and liittle ones, as well as a deeper end for our 20 something sons and their friends to safely jump into. The rule is no head first diving, but canonballs, or feet first is OK. They really only spend time in the deep end as they think that is more fun. Our compromise was to have 3 1/2 feet (of water) to 6 1/2 feet (of water). About the first 1/3 is level at 3 1/2 feet, then it gently slopes to the deep end. Everyone is happy, tall and short!

Last edited:
Reactions: Cammie
Yeah, I thought of that. We're going with a darker plaster too so that won't help. I get cold easily though so I'll be fine. My husband may be dumping in bags of ice though. [emoji23] Maybe we should look into a chiller.

I have a friend that has a pool with a dark bottom in Austin and his pool was 95 before a swim party and he wanted to cool it down. We went to the store and bought I think 400 pounds of ice (20 x 20lb bags) and I swear it only dropped the pool temp by maybe 2 degrees. It was a major bummer! Just some experience if your husband ever gets that idea!

Reactions: Cammie
We like our pool warm so it's never a problem. But if I do want to cool my pool I can always run my solar panels at night to cool the water. Of course not everyone lives in the desert where it cools off at night.

I wish it were so simple here on the gulf coast where it can be 90+ degrees and 90%+ humidity at 3 am in the summer, running solar at night does help some though, but no where near what it does in your climate as we just don't have that night time cold sky feel for it to radiate to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a friend that has a pool with a dark bottom in Austin and his pool was 95 before a swim party and he wanted to cool it down. We went to the store and bought I think 400 pounds of ice (20 x 20lb bags) and I swear it only dropped the pool temp by maybe 2 degrees. It was a major bummer! Just some experience if your husband ever gets that idea!

This made me laugh, and Greg, too.

This was my second pool built and my first was 3.5-6.0 while my kids were growing up and there were lots and lots of jumping in the pool from a trampoline! That used to be right next to the pool and when they were teens I remember kids jumping from the roof into the pool, I made them stop, of course when I saw it, but kids get used to the depth and it becomes second nature, there was no head first diving. Well, now with this pool, I'm 5'4, I wanted the deep end to be 5' seriously, I wanted to use all the pool and with the water at higher level I can't stand not even on my tiptoes, in the deep end, it took a lot of trying to convince my husband who's 6' that he'd be able to Stand anywhere in the pool. Now he loves it and even DIVES in every time he goes in, he does a swimmers dive and he's fine with it, like I said, all of the pool is used now I feel. I don't want to hang out in only 1/3 of my pool. I don't think you'll regret.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

LOL! Good to know!

This was my second pool built and my first was 3.5-6.0 while my kids were growing up and there were lots and lots of jumping in the pool from a trampoline! That used to be right next to the pool and when they were teens I remember kids jumping from the roof into the pool, I made them stop, of course when I saw it, but kids get used to the depth and it becomes second nature, there was no head first diving. Well, now with this pool, I'm 5'4, I wanted the deep end to be 5' seriously, I wanted to use all the pool and with the water at higher level I can't stand not even on my tiptoes, in the deep end, it took a lot of trying to convince my husband who's 6' that he'd be able to Stand anywhere in the pool. Now he loves it and even DIVES in every time he goes in, he does a swimmers dive and he's fine with it, like I said, all of the pool is used now I feel. I don't want to hang out in only 1/3 of my pool. I don't think you'll regret.

Thanks! This helped a lot and I feel better now. We're only 4'9" and 5'9" respectively so that helps. I won't able to use the whole pool but close enough at least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.