Edible gardening projects, anyone else?

Isaac-1

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 10, 2010
SW Louisiana
It is well into spring time here in Louisiana with daytime highs in the upper 70's most days for the last month or so. Due to losses of a number of fruit trees around the yard over the last few years, I decided this was a good year to go through, replant and expand the inventory of edibles around the yard. I started about 6 weeks ago, and have planted 3 new Satsuma trees to go along with the 3 existing ones, the new ones are Armstrong Early, St Ann and Louisiana Early (the existing ones are all Owari's although one is a bit stunted in growth and does not produce much fruit). I also added a Myers Lemon (which is risky outdoors in the climate here, although they do survive well about 50 miles south of here), and I am about to plant a Cara Cara orange tree (which is between the Myers and the Satsumas for cold hardiness). Additionally I planted 2 fig trees, an LSU purple, and an LSU Gold, to go along with the 2 unknown variety of figs I already have, and 2 new peach trees to replace ones that needed to be removed (trunks were splitting and rotting), a Harvester and a La Feliciana. In addition to all this I have planted a number of thornless blackberry plants in 4 varieties, Osage, Ouachita, Prime-Ark Traveler, and Sweetie Pie, on top of all that there were also couple of new blueberry bushes.

Ike

Yep.

I'm a couple weeks behind this year, though. On the positive side, the recent rain softened up the ground for me, so digging with something less than a jackhammer was possible.

We tore out some overgrown lilies which freed up a planter about 3' wide and 16' long. That's going to get squash trained to go up a trellis. We buy a lot of squash, so I figured I ought to grow my own. The trellis will be made of lashed-together lemon tree prunings. The twine came from a neighbor who moved. It just killed me to buy some T-posts, but I guess they'll be good for a few years. I just hate spending big money on gardening supplies.

4 out of 5 of my bell pepper plants survived the winter and one of the skeletal things is starting to show buds.

We're still discussing what varieties of tomatoes to plant this year.

If you needed T-post why didn't you say so, I have a few spare bent up used ones (I used the better ones out of the pile for my blackberry trellises). I may have went overboard on the blackberries, I planted 23 so far, and have 4 more trailing thornless ones to go that are currently in planter pots under a grow light, these will need a more substantial trellis than the others. (they are a mix of heat tolerant, early season, late season, etc so hopefully no matter what the weather does some will produce berries).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.