Looking to replace a Sta-Rite P6E6E 1HP pump

Sep 9, 2015
Ky
I have been running this pump for close to 6 years http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Sta-Rite-P6E6E-206L-Max-E-Pro-Efficient/dp/B001HNFCVG

Had an issue with it running dry last year because of the leaves clogging up the 2 skimmers so I had to have the motor rebuilt. It runs now but my electric bills are crazy when the pool is running so I wanted to get some recommendations on something more energy efficient. When we got it we were told that it was a very efficient pump but my electric bills over the years would beg to differ :) I would like to get something that I didn't have to re-plumb the pipes ideally. I have a DE filter and run a heater as well for our 24K gallon pool.

I'm thinking one of the newer variable speed models so I thought I would ask the experts. Thanks for any advice

You have several options:

1) New VS pump - Upfront costs $$$ and energy savings $$$, requires plumbing changes
2) New 2 speed pump - Upfront costs $$ and energy savings $$, requires plumbing changes
3) New 2 speed motor - Upfront costs $ and energy savings $$, requires NO plumbing changes

ROI for #1 tends to be more than 2 or 3 when you have higher electrical costs. If you have fairly low electrical costs and the pump wet end is in good condition, you might consider just a motor replacement (3).

But your energy costs will be reduced for all three options.

One more thing you should consider is changing cleaners so you don't need to run the booster pump. Those draw quite a bit in energy too.

Thank you for the reply, I looked on the Pentair website http://www.pentairpool.com/save-energy/energy-star-products.html
and it looks like several of their Variable Speed models would require much in the way of plumbing, not that it's a huge deal I am pretty handy.

I am not really familiar with any other vacuums outside of the one we have and one my neighbor has that actually plugs into an outlet.
I would love to not have to run the booster, it does a good job most of the time but it is constantly running because we have so many trees in our backyard

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.