Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Looking to replace a Sta-Rite P6E6E 1HP pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Looking to replace a Sta-Rite P6E6E 1HP pump

I have been running this pump for close to 6 years http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-Sta-Ri.../dp/B001HNFCVG

Had an issue with it running dry last year because of the leaves clogging up the 2 skimmers so I had to have the motor rebuilt. It runs now but my electric bills are crazy when the pool is running so I wanted to get some recommendations on something more energy efficient. When we got it we were told that it was a very efficient pump but my electric bills over the years would beg to differ I would like to get something that I didn't have to re-plumb the pipes ideally. I have a DE filter and run a heater as well for our 24K gallon pool.

I'm thinking one of the newer variable speed models so I thought I would ask the experts. Thanks for any advice
    My pool 20x40 Vinyl Liner 24k gallons Sta-Rite P6E6E-206L Max-E-Pro Energy 1 HP System Filtration DE Polaris BP960 pump Heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Looking to replace a Sta-Rite P6E6E 1HP pump

You have several options:

1) New VS pump - Upfront costs $$$ and energy savings $$$, requires plumbing changes
    2) New 2 speed pump - Upfront costs $$ and energy savings $$, requires plumbing changes
    3) New 2 speed motor - Upfront costs $ and energy savings $$, requires NO plumbing changes

ROI for #1 tends to be more than 2 or 3 when you have higher electrical costs. If you have fairly low electrical costs and the pump wet end is in good condition, you might consider just a motor replacement (3).

But your energy costs will be reduced for all three options.

One more thing you should consider is changing cleaners so you don't need to run the booster pump. Those draw quite a bit in energy too.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you for the reply, I looked on the Pentair website http://www.pentairpool.com/save-ener...-products.html
    and it looks like several of their Variable Speed models would require much in the way of plumbing, not that it's a huge deal I am pretty handy.

I am not really familiar with any other vacuums outside of the one we have and one my neighbor has that actually plugs into an outlet.
    I would love to not have to run the booster, it does a good job most of the time but it is constantly running because we have so many trees in our backyard
    My pool 20x40 Vinyl Liner 24k gallons Sta-Rite P6E6E-206L Max-E-Pro Energy 1 HP System Filtration DE Polaris BP960 pump Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I would like to get the experts opinions on this pump, none of the local pool stores carry Pentairs so I will be buying online.

Pentair 342001 SuperFlo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump, 1 1/2 Horsepower

http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-342001.../dp/B00PKHX2BM

5. Back To Top    #5

Should be a good fit for your needs.

6. Back To Top    #6

It's a good pump. Many on the forum have it.

Also, regarding cleaners, ThePoolCleaner is one that does not require a booster pump:

Poolvergnuegen 4 Wheel pool Cleaner | 896584000-037
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

7. Back To Top    #7

thanks for the feedback. Are there certain online dealers that you all feel are reputable ? I have been researching a lot and have seen lot of different opinions