Ive owned the pool in the sig below for 3 months
    Today we had some significant rain
    The deck has 6 or 8 drains
    The drains werent able to keep up with the rain
    Water pooled at the drains
    After the rain stopped it seemed to go down
    and now that the rain is slow its keeping up - mostly

Im trying to figure out where the water goes
    I have 2 down spouts in same area that go into pipes that disappear in the ground
    they seem to drain OK
    Im assuming the deck drains also go to the same place eventually
    I tried shoving a flowing hose down the couple drains I could access
    the water didnt back up but also didnt drain

Ive tried adding some soapy water to the drains to see if i can see suds coming out of a covered over pop up or something
    NO dice yet
    Looked in front and in back for somewhere the water could be draining to...
    Now that i think about it the backwash valve has to go somewhere as well - it just goes to PVC in ground
    ... no clue where it heads after that

Any other ideas ?

I did find the pool over flow and its pipe that goes to the alley
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Deck Drains question

Could we get an overall picture of the pool and the yard.

Some options

1. Directly to storm drain (unlikely)

2. To a french drain under the lawn (more likely) You description of how it is working fits.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

3. Back To Top    #3

Here are some of the drains - Highlighted

The ones in the deck are the ones that were pooling
    you can also see the gutter

I plan to if it dries some
    excavate the dirt near the gutter downspout and the green drain near it
    to see if they connect etc
    get some clue whats going on
    I stuck a running hose down the green cap to the right and the hose went down a good 8-10 feet

Google earth view shows the highlight of the drains from other image and the path of the pool overflow whoch Ive found
    there are no other drains in the alley that Ive found
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Doug - Purchased 1/2016, 1995 house with 16x31 ft, ~23000 gallon Gunite pool w 11x7 spa, 3 Pentair VS pumps, a boost pump for polaris 3900 and a BaduŽ Jet super-sport swim jet pump, 1.5 hp blower, a CL460 Cartridge filter. TF-100 test kit. Aquapure SWG, iAqualink - Lots to learn. New Aquabright, Jandy LEDs, CMP LED Sheers.

4. Back To Top    #4

Unrelated -
    But had some fun after the storms today

Omaha Steaks delievered today with dry ice

5. Back To Top    #5

Cool! Yeah, that was some crazy wind and rain today!
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm betting your drain lines just go off somewhere and in in a perforated pipe maybe burred in gravel.

Are you cooking steaks for us? What time should I be there?
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by gwegan View Post
    I'm betting your drain lines just go off somewhere and in in a perforated pipe maybe burred in gravel.

Are you cooking steaks for us? What time should I be there?
    The lines go somewhere they have to - the gutters do
    Ill just need it to stop raining long enough to do some digging

Im not looking a gift horse in the mouth but like most Omaha Steaks "gift baskets "
    there is lots of food but few steaks .. Sorry
    The fish and hamburger and stuff has a much higher margin - especially when they sell for $30 a lb
    Its all good - its just not all steak

8. Back To Top    #8

Found 3 inch line that the deck drains connect to
    it runs to the alley
    the pipe was damaged by the FiOS fiber install - that's assumed since the fiber was directly over the crushed pipe
    the pipe was 90% full of roots ...

Now just waiting for strong rain to test it

now that I know where to look I can maintain it if the drains slow again

9. Back To Top    #9

Well tonight we had storm and hail
    have to check for damage in am

did offer a test of my drains
    flowing well
    And the rate of flow seems to be "clearing the pipes"

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

On an unrelated side note, dry ice is not a good thing to put in the pool. It causes a localized very low pH environment that could very well cause damage to the plaster.
    -Brian-
    33K Pool/Spa, Pentair Equipment
    POOL BUILD
    Davis Custom Construction - Home Page

11. Back To Top    #11

Glad you found the pipe and where it goes. That is going to help keep it moving!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by bdavis466 View Post
    On an unrelated side note, dry ice is not a good thing to put in the pool. It causes a localized very low pH environment that could very well cause damage to the plaster.
    Thanks for the note
    didnt think about that but in my case the plaster is gone - cant get much worse