Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: size, shape considerations

1. Back To Top    #1

size, shape considerations

We are about to build a new in-ground, steel wall, vinyl liner pool. We have narrowed our choices down to 2 or 3 shapes and sizes and wondered if anyone through their own experience had anything maybe we wouldm't know to consider. Like considerably higher cost to maintain, harder to keep water chemicals in balance, etc.

We are down to:

1. An 18'x40'x30' Full L shape

2. A 22'x44' Patrician shape (which is just a rectangle with one end that has the details of a Roman shape

3. 18'x41' Lazy L shape.

The construction costs are all within about 10% of one another, so that doesn't give us much to choose from. We like the Full L becuase it has more shallow end area for kids (and adults). It just seems like for the majority of the time in the pool, most people hang out at the shallow end. But we like the other two shapes just as well. I didnt know if the L shape would be tougher to keep skimmers working properly or would require much more salt or other chemicals to maintain, or a bigger pump, etc.

Any advice is helpful.

wmmallette

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: size, shape considerations

Ls are sure practical if you will have diving.
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

3. Back To Top    #3

Shot us a picture of where it will be going and we might be able to see what would work the best in your yard as well.

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Helen203 View Post
    Ls are sure practical if you will have diving.
    The L shape I am looking at is really no different than an 18'x38' rectangle except for the additional square footage in the shallow end. What I mean is, the deep end is no different as far as diving is concerned. Am I missing a feature? hahaha

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by kimkats View Post
    Shot us a picture of where it will be going and we might be able to see what would work the best in your yard as well.

Kim

I will post some pictures here in just a few minutes. We sit on about 23 acres, so space isn't an issue. As you will see in the pictures to follow, there is a metal shop building that is about 14'x26' that I am going to convert into a "pool house". It borders my yard at a fenceline into one of the pastures. It just seemed like the most logical place for the pool due to the close proximity to my house (about 40 feet away) and the proximity to what would be an inexpensive conversion of an existing structure with a concrete floor where I could put an air conditioner, fridge, indoor furniture and a bathroom for getting out of the heat from time to time. It would also provide a place to attach an awning or pergola for shade for outdoor tables and chairs.

6. Back To Top    #6

This is a photo of my entire property.

Attachment 45587

This is a closer view of the spot near my home where i would like to put the pool. The small white building is the metal shop building I want to convert into the "pool house". The white rectangle on the second pic is where we want the pool and patio.

Attachment 45588
    Attachment 45589

Attachment 45589

And these are some very basic drawings of either a rectangular pool (22'x44') or the L-shape (18x40x30).

Attachment 45590

Attachment 45591

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by wmmallette View Post
    The L shape I am looking at is really no different than an 18'x38' rectangle except for the additional square footage in the shallow end. What I mean is, the deep end is no different as far as diving is concerned. Am I missing a feature? hahaha
    Yes, that is where I was going. Diving pools steal a lot of shallow water and an L gives you some back!
    My Pool Build (2015): inground 12K gals gunite/plaster pool, SWG, 2-speed pump, cartridge filter, gas heater, and polaris cleaner (Jandy). TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speed Stir

8. Back To Top    #8

I have always loved the True L pools. We were actually considering doing a vinyl one before changing directions. I like how the inside of the L gives a natural area of consolidated decking, which helps save money if you need to limit the decking expense. We liked the idea of the bumped out extra shallow area that the all gives.

If you are wanting an automatic cover, rectangular is the way to go. Possibly, a rectangular pool would make using any type of cover simpler.
    28,000 gallon freeform, Stonescapes Tropics Blue Minipebble with abalone, 3.5' to 8.5' depth. 2 skimmers, 5 returns, dedicated vacuum port, Dolphin Z5 robot. All Pentair equip: EasyTouch 8, IC60 SWG, VS pump, 520 Cartridge Filter, 3 Intellibrites, 2 Color Cascade Bubblers. TurboTwister Slide and 8' Salt System Jump Board. TF-100. My Jan-Mar 2016 build:
    Waxahachie, TX Owner Build - A race to beat the baby!!

9. Back To Top    #9

That is a great spot for a pool! I vote L. More shallow is good. We love our play pool.
    TFP Moderator
    If TFP helped you or saved you money - Become a TFP Supporter! <--Click here
    2012 build and pics, 20k gal gunite, black onyx pebblesheen, OK flagstone, IntellifoVS, cart filter w/Pleatco, IC40 SWG, Solartouch, 5 12'x4' solar panels, HP50HA heat pump, 8mil solar cover, borates, TF-100 test kit, SONOS, Doheny's Discovery Robot, hot tub on bleach

10. Back To Top    #10

I think the L shape would be nice also. What might be even a harder decision will be size. Most of us were limited by property lines and easements. You can have as big a pool as you can imagine!
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

11. Back To Top    #11

L shape! Best of both worlds-----------lots of shallow to play in AND deep end for diving and jumping in!

Will you also have a fire pit? I hope so as I love me so somemores! LOL

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

12. Back To Top    #12

TFP Guide

We put an L in 2011. We love it. We are on 26 acres. So I can relate. You can sort of see the pool in my avatar/profile pic

Edit......just saw your PM to me. Will reply.
    Last edited by AimeeH; 03-08-2016 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Edit
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

13. Back To Top    #13

TFP Guide

The L does serve the purpose well but if a rectangular pool more suits the area, like I think it does near a straight structure, a rectangle can provide the same size shallow end if the pool is just extended...or am I missing something?
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

14. Back To Top    #14

Bmoreswim,

Yes in a gunnite type situation, I could make the shallow end as long as I like. My limitation is that based on a friendship, I am able to get a steal on a MegnaPools steel wall or polymer wall kit, liner, pump as well as all building materials and accessories I will need. So I may be stuck with predetermined sizes offered by these types of kits.

That may also limit my ability to make the shallow end deeper (which I hate), but parts, installation costs, concrete and all I will be able to get pretty much any size or shape offered for under $12,000 and thats if I don't install myself.

15. Back To Top    #15

wow, that is quite a deal!!!

16. Back To Top    #16

TFP Guide

Gotcha, I was forgetting that vinyl is a selection for shapes. Makes sense. Does this friend also, say, build sport courts or install lazy rivers!?

My preference would be with the long part of the L parallel and away from the building and the short part farther away from the house going towards the building. Reason being that you wouldn't feel like you were walking around the appendage to get to the main deck area. The foot would be the part that gave it a sense of enclosure.
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking

17. Back To Top    #17

Bmore, you're saying you'd flip it 180 degrees? That would make sense.
    Marla
    No longer living vicariously through other people's pool builds. Pool build is complete on my IG SWCG pool, approx 10,000 gallons. All Jandy equipment - VS 1.5 hp pump, 580 cartridge filter, AquaPure 1400 salt cell, AquaLink PDA system. Dolphin m500. PebbleSheen Blue Surf with shells and beads added. TF-100 w/ SpeedStir. A Houston Pool Build Inside the Loop

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

I'm going to piggy back on bmmoreswim on the placement comment........as it becomes soooo much about preference. Our larger concrete decking (inside the "L" if you will) is closest to the home or "walking too" point with the entry steps being closest to the house. What HAS bugged me over the years (having a maybe unhealthy worship of the sun) is that part is south. So to face a lounge chair toward the sun, it requires the back to be toward the pool. NEVER thought of that until after build. I may be crazy to think that way but it comes to mind every time I consider getting nicer loungers.

It all becomes about preference. Get some cat litter or flour or spray paint if you want and draw your lines before dig. Walk there and back imagining how and where you will be walking to and fro. Get a feeling for the access point you'd be using and go with your gut.
    18*36*23 true "L" vinyl IG 29,000 gallons. SWG. TF-100 test kit.
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html

19. Back To Top    #19

TFP Guide

Excellent point about the sun as well. Living on the East coast, I appreciated being able to face East/Southeast all morning to early afternoon while at the beach and be looking at the ocean (while getting maximum tannage!)

20. Back To Top    #20

I'm going to go against the grain here, lol
    I would go with the patrician pool if you think you'll be swimming laps. IF you like to swim as an exercise the shorter pool will be too short, but 44 feet is long enough for short laps, mine is 35 and I so wish I had an extra 10 feet for laps something to consider.

13k gallon 10x35 IG salt water pool 8x10 spa Hayward ecostar variable speed pump with remote. Diamond Brite cobalt. Diamond brite watercolors

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast